Elite Answers Wrestling
Welcome old members and new visitors, EAW is still going stronger than ever and now runs out of a new upgraded forum! Be sure to check us out over at http://www.eawnetwork.com

Promo Lessons thread. - Page 2 SIGNUPBANNER
Elite Answers Wrestling
Welcome old members and new visitors, EAW is still going stronger than ever and now runs out of a new upgraded forum! Be sure to check us out over at http://www.eawnetwork.com

Promo Lessons thread. - Page 2 SIGNUPBANNER

The Land of Elite

HomeMain SitePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| EAW IS LEAVING FORUMOTION. WE HAD A NICE RUN HERE FOR 4 YEARS BUT OUR NEW FORUM WEBSITE WILL BE RAN OUT OF THIS LINK: eawnetwork.com JOIN THERE TODAY |||||||||||||||||||||||| KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR FOR MAIN SITE, eawrestling.com FOR MAJOR CHANGES, INCLUDING A NEW DESIGN, UPDATED ARCHIVES AND MORE WITHIN THE COMING DAYS AND WEEKS |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Top posting users this week
No user
Latest topics
» PAIN FOR PRIDE 11 DAY 1 TONIGHT! AT 6PM EST LIVE ON DISCORD
Promo Lessons thread. - Page 2 Emptyby Mr. DEDEDE June 21st 2018, 1:42 am

» MAJOR EAW UPDATE [ALL MEMBERS PLEASE READ]
Promo Lessons thread. - Page 2 Emptyby LVCIAN May 26th 2018, 1:46 pm

» The Compliment Game
Promo Lessons thread. - Page 2 Emptyby LVCIAN April 3rd 2018, 6:21 pm

» EAW Promoz!
Promo Lessons thread. - Page 2 Emptyby EAW April 2nd 2018, 10:46 pm

» NEXTAGE
Promo Lessons thread. - Page 2 Emptyby NEXTAGE April 2nd 2018, 3:46 pm

» Grand Rampage 2018 Reaction Thread
Promo Lessons thread. - Page 2 Emptyby Daisy Thrash April 2nd 2018, 3:01 pm

Upcoming Events

Note: Voice chat only activates when you want it to… Default chat is text.

Promo Lessons thread.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage

Promo Lessons thread. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Promo Lessons thread.   Promo Lessons thread. - Page 2 EmptyJune 18th 2015, 9:55 pm

The Art of being a Babyface

First thing you need to be when you’re a face is to be loved. Simply being liked isn’t enough if you want to be a main event face, people have to love you, being ‘’liked’’ is going to be a mid-carder, it’s like being a heel, simply being ‘’disliked’’ isn’t going to get you out of the mid-card and you need to be hated, but I’ll get to that tomorrow. Regardless of whether you’re a heel or you’re a face, there needs to be an emotional attachment to your character that people can either root for or they can root against. When you’re making a character for yourself and you’re trying to establish your own character and you’re playing a face, you need to ask yourself how people are going to be able to be emotionally attached to you. There’s a few ways to do this:

Be relatable: Most people want to cheer for people because they can identify with them. Steve Austin got over as a babyface because he was more American than anybody in wrestling history – he drank beer, was a redneck and flipped his boss off and was the badass that everybody wishes they could be. Rocky Balboa was such a huge hit of a movie because Rocky was just your everyday guy who exemplified everything people wanted to be and that’s how he got over. If your character isn’t relatable then how he is anybody going to relate to you? This is the biggest problem I have with most people’s characters, typically when people make a character and they want to play a face, it’s usually the most generic things that they can ever have – ‘I’m just a good wrestler!’ how the fuck am I going to cheer for you if that’s your gimmick? It makes no sense to me, most people’s characters are simply not relatable and it’s impossible to identify with you. Look at the Pizza Boy gimmick, Candle has a character that he’s a green horn wrestler who’s extremely naive but he keeps on trying to wrestle and you want to cheer for him and see him win. It helps greatly his character is extremely unique but you WANT to cheer for him, you WANT to see him do well because he’s relatable. Another example, and I’ll post a video of this soon and I’ve probably talked about this in another thread, but look at Daniel Cormier  - He failed at the Olympics, he failed in the NCAA, he failed in pretty much everything he’s done in life, he’s always finished second and he’s pretty much the definition of the ‘Always the bridesmaid, never the bride’ (I’m aware he’s the champ now) but he’s still extremely relatable because we can all relate to finishing second in life, we can all identify with that frustration of failing in something you’ve spent your life trying to achieve but he keeps on trying, who can’t root for this guy? He’s one of the most likable guys in the UFC and it’s fucking easy to see why. He’s allowed himself to look weak, he’s owned up to his shortcomings in life and he’s a guy who people can identify with. It’s probably one of the biggest reasons why John Cena fails as a babyface – because his character isn’t relatable to anybody. Hulk Hogan and Steve Austin were both guys who everybody wanted to be because they established their character to be like that, but Cena hasn’t. He’s been on top for a decade and I still don’t know what exactly his character is and that’s why he isn’t as loved by everybody because nobody can relate to him but kids.
Just to continue the Cormier thing, this is probably, in my opinion, one of the best babyface promos done in a very long time. It’s irrelevant that it’s from the UFC because Boxing/UFC/Wrestling are the same thing when it boils down to it and this is one of the main reasons why people were begging for Cormier to beat Jones and why he’s universally loved by people in MMA:

Another good example of this is Dusty Rhodes, his whole character was just a common man who wanted to show what the American Dream was and wanted to fight for the people. It helped he was charismatic as fuck but everything he talked about, and especially the promo I’ll show now is, why Dusty got over so much as a babyface and why him being a heel would have never worked – he’s relatable as everybody wants to show they can do whatever their dream is, especially when people say that they can’t.

Gain Sympathy: This is the single biggest aspect of being a face and again, it’s an aspect most people don’t do. Most people believe you have to look ‘’strong’’ all the time, I could be wrong but I’m fairly sure somebody quit months ago because they didn’t look strong all the time? Lethal? I don’t know. Anyway, if you’re a face, you don’t and probably SHOULDN’T look strong all the time. I’d argue it’s far better to look weak leading into an event, like an FPV, than it is to look strong especially if you’re a babyface. It goes back to Cormier and finishing second his whole life. Why would anybody want to root for somebody who constantly looks strong? Look at Hulk Hogan in the 80’s, he may have won every single feud he had as the biggest face (and he should have) but he’d constantly make himself look weak, whether it’s true injuries or whatever, to gain sympathy. People wanted to see Hogan get the ultimate revenge on the bad guy, if Hogan just acted like he wasn’t hurt anytime he cut a promo, the whole time would have never worked and he never would have been as over. Best example in e-feds that I can give is Diamond Cage during the DEDEDE feud when DEDEDE fired Cage and basically convinced his wife and kids to leave Cage and say shit like ‘I love you daddy’’ to DEDEDE. Instead of Cage just no-selling it and acting like it didn’t bother him, he sold it perfectly. He would talk about how depressed he was to hear his kids say they love DDD and call him dad, how he lost everything that had meaning in his life and guess what? Every single fucking person in EAW wanted to see him kick DEDEDE’s ass and murder him. This is the biggest issue I had with Nigey’s promos as Eddie Mack – and I’m trying not to bury him here – but he would never let anything ever bother, he’d just smile and act like nothing happened, same shit John Cena does and that is the worst fucking thing ANYBODY can do in a promo. If you don’t care about a heel just did to you, why should I care? You NEED to gain sympathy from people in order to make them want to see you overcome the odds and get the win. People need to get out of this mindset that when they’re a face, that they need to look ‘’strong’’ all the time, if you shrug off everything the heel does to you, you’re not only failing as a babyface but you’re also ensuring that the heel has no heat because he can’t gain heat if nothing he does to you doesn’t bother you so you’re not only fucking over yourself, you’re fucking the heel over as well.
Back to top Go down
Lucas Johnson
Showdown
Showdown
Lucas Johnson

Hailing From : Long Island, New York

PostSubject: Re: Promo Lessons thread.   Promo Lessons thread. - Page 2 EmptyJune 18th 2015, 11:07 pm

Mr. DEDEDE wrote:
The Franchise Demon wrote:
I already know my promo's need to be longer, any other suggestions?

Post a promo of yours here and ill give my opinion

This was my latest promo

We start with the camera showing Franchise Demon and Kerry Keller in the locker room celebrating there victory. As Franchise Demon is yelling out the door throwing the straight jacket at the guard

The Franchise Demon: TAKE THIS FUCKING STRAIGHT JACKET AND SHOVE IT UP YOUR ASS! NOW EXCUSE ME I HAVE A MATCH TO WIN AT PAIN FOR PRIDE 8!

The Franchise Demon slams the door behind him, breaths like the weight has been taken off his chest and has a smile on his face.

Kerry Keller: Well we finally did it! 

Franchise Demon: Nah man it was all you tonight, I sucked tonight

Kerry Keller: What are you talking about its a team effort! But congrats on finally getting released from that straight jacket

Franchise Demon: Thanks man, I never had this much anger inside of me before not i'm released. Brett Kennedy man.....he's first on the hit list. A roll up is a roll up this cold soul needs to STOP BITCHING!

Keller and Franchise Demon both face the camera man

Kerry Keller: The Mexican Samurai....Brett Kennedy.......Gabriel Eden be ready to be silenced this week on Voltage. 

Franchise Demon: KENNEDY! You better WATCH OUT, WATCH OUT! DO YOU HEAR ME? I GOT ONE GRAVE SET UP FOR YOU AND WON'T EVEN MAKE IT TO PAIN FOR PRIDE TO WATCH THE FPV BACKSTAGE IN THE LOCKER ROOM!

Kerry Keller: Calm down Franchise.....he meant was your looking the winner of the 24/7 Battle Royal at Pain For Pride. Either myself or Franchise Demon will stand tall and will take over the EAW Universe.

Franchise Demon: GET READY! Cause the darkness is continuing.....

The scene ends as Franchise Demon and Keller walk towards the showers
Back to top Go down
Bhris Elite
Voltage
Voltage
Bhris Elite

PostSubject: Re: Promo Lessons thread.   Promo Lessons thread. - Page 2 EmptyJune 18th 2015, 11:36 pm

I was asking that day for advice so I'm just going to leave my promo below.  I know grammar is probably a big problem but anything else I can work on and what not just let me know.

*Chris Elite is shown home watching ESPN as he receives a text on his phone.  The camera zooms in on his phone reading that he will be on the next Dynasty against Donny Diamond winner gets to be in 24/7 battle royal.  Chris Elite looks up at the camera and begins to speak.*

I've been impatiently anticipating for this day since I have come back.  I couldn't wait to finally see my name on that Dynasty card again and now look there I am.   Thing is I don't know very much about my opponent.  What I do know is last time you guys saw me which was about almost a week ago I told you my goal I told you the reason I came back.  That reason is to prove something to you fans to prove something to you critics and to prove something to the guys backstage.  Now since I've come back I've heard mixed reactions such as.  "Chris won't last a month"  "I'm glad Chris is back just another easy opponent" and so on and so on. Those... Those are the reasons I've come back to silence those critics.  See coming back I really didn't expect to be in anything more but the 24/7 battle royal at Pain for Pride 8.  Now I have a chance to and that's a chance I won't let slip through my fingers.  See 2 years ago at Pain for Pride 6 I was in the 24/7 Battle Royal you can pretty say it's a tradition of mine to be in that match.  However at Pain for Pride 6 I was in the final 4 of a very hard-fought battle.  This year I don't want to be in the final 4, hell not even the final 3 I want to be the winner.  However though I must focus on the task at hand I must first get through Donny Diamond.  See Donny I'm sure you have the same goal as me to walk into Pain for Pride IF you beat me and win that 24/7 Battle Royal.  However with that being said my focus, my ambition is much stronger my will to be in that match is much stronger than yours.  I have a mission and I will complete it.  I won't let my mission fail this easy Donny so if you've heard all the stories about me I am just warning you now don't let those get to your head I have become much better and if you don't believe me and if you fans don't believe me I will prove it come next Friday.  Donny don't doubt me for one second because of the stories you may have heard I am back and better than ever and as stated before I will prove.  As stated nearly a week ago I will put 100 percent into every match I am in starting with this one on Dynasty. EAW I am back and I am here to stay I will make it to Pain for Pride and I will do anything to make it happen.  Donny good luck to you I hope you are ready for a tough challenge if not and you walk into that ring thinking I am going to be as easy as everyone might have told you I am then...  Let's just say you've got another thing coming.

*The camera fades to black as Chris Elite is shown smirking*
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Promo Lessons thread.   Promo Lessons thread. - Page 2 EmptyJune 18th 2015, 11:37 pm

Mr. DEDEDE wrote:

This was my latest promo

We start with the camera showing Franchise Demon and Kerry Keller in the locker room celebrating there victory. As Franchise Demon is yelling out the door throwing the straight jacket at the guard

The Franchise Demon: TAKE THIS FUCKING STRAIGHT JACKET AND SHOVE IT UP YOUR ASS! NOW EXCUSE ME I HAVE A MATCH TO WIN AT PAIN FOR PRIDE 8!

The Franchise Demon slams the door behind him, breaths like the weight has been taken off his chest and has a smile on his face.

Kerry Keller: What are you talking about its a team effort! But congrats on finally getting released from that straight jacket

Franchise Demon: Thanks man, I never had this much anger inside of me before not i'm released. Brett Kennedy man.....he's first on the hit list. A roll up is a roll up this cold soul needs to STOP BITCHING!

Kerry Keller: The Mexican Samurai....Brett Kennedy.......Gabriel Eden be ready to be silenced this week on Voltage. 

Franchise Demon: KENNEDY! You better WATCH OUT, WATCH OUT! DO YOU HEAR ME? I GOT ONE GRAVE SET UP FOR YOU AND WON'T EVEN MAKE IT TO PAIN FOR PRIDE TO WATCH THE FPV BACKSTAGE IN THE LOCKER ROOM!

Kerry Keller: Calm down Franchise.....he meant was your looking the winner of the 24/7 Battle Royal at Pain For Pride. Either myself or Franchise Demon will stand tall and will take over the EAW Universe.

First thing I'd say is ...what's your gimmick? I'm assuming it's some crazy character due to the straight jacket but other then that, I'm completely unaware of what it actually is, which really isn't something I'd be going for. You maybe should have promoed with the straight jacket on you, sitting in a corner and talking with it on you as it would have created a pretty cool visual and would have given the impression of you being somebody who's dangerous with the straight-jacket off.

Even just little things like that to further your character, very easily could have had Keller say something like ''(Insert opponents name here) when we step into the ring, and Franchise Demon takes off that straight-jacket and is finally released, there's nothing that I can do to stop him, he is unstoppable and uncontrollable, I don't know what he will do but I can promise you it won't end well for you' gives you the impression of somebody who's dangerous and should be taken seriously. It also adds a bit more than just saying 'you better watch out!' over  and over, why should Brett watch out? It does so much more for your character and I can't stress enough how important character development is, every promo you do should be further developing your character and letting people know more about your character.

I told this to Keller before but don't put your character down, saying things like 'I sucked tonight' is NOT something you should ever say. You need to put yourself over and again, if you're a heel, you need to be hated and I simply can't hate somebody who thinks they suck, either I'm going to feel sorry for you or I just won't care because you're giving me the impression that you suck, both reactions are not what you want, if you're a heel. You need to ask yourself before you promo 'How can I make people hate me? What can I say that will make people hate me and think I'm a fucking asshole?'. Getting heat in a promo is so crucial and you didn't do any of that in this promo.

Also, if you're going to promo on an opponent and I've said this before to other people, you really need to give them something to work with so they can reply back to you and then you can reply back to them. Just saying things like 'You will be silenced on Voltage' isn't enough. How are your opponents going to reply back to that? Talk about them, tell them why you and Keller are better than them, why you will beat, etc etc. Give them something to work with.
Back to top Go down
Anderson.

Anderson.

Hailing From : Toronto, Ontario, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Promo Lessons thread.   Promo Lessons thread. - Page 2 EmptyJune 19th 2015, 3:11 am

Mr. DEDEDE wrote:

This was my latest promo

:ha:

Keep it up, man. You're better than a lot of us when we started.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Promo Lessons thread.   Promo Lessons thread. - Page 2 EmptyJune 19th 2015, 9:36 am

Chris EliteSK wrote:
I was asking that day for advice so I'm just going to leave my promo below.  I know grammar is probably a big problem but anything else I can work on and what not just let me know.

*Chris Elite is shown home watching ESPN as he receives a text on his phone.  The camera zooms in on his phone reading that he will be on the next Dynasty against Donny Diamond winner gets to be in 24/7 battle royal.  Chris Elite looks up at the camera and begins to speak.*

I've been impatiently anticipating for this day since I have come back.  I couldn't wait to finally see my name on that Dynasty card again and now look there I am.   Thing is I don't know very much about my opponent.  What I do know is last time you guys saw me which was about almost a week ago I told you my goal I told you the reason I came back.  That reason is to prove something to you fans to prove something to you critics and to prove something to the guys backstage.  Now since I've come back I've heard mixed reactions such as.  "Chris won't last a month"  "I'm glad Chris is back just another easy opponent" and so on and so on. Those... Those are the reasons I've come back to silence those critics.  See coming back I really didn't expect to be in anything more but the 24/7 battle royal at Pain for Pride 8.  Now I have a chance to and that's a chance I won't let slip through my fingers.  See 2 years ago at Pain for Pride 6 I was in the 24/7 Battle Royal you can pretty say it's a tradition of mine to be in that match.  However at Pain for Pride 6 I was in the final 4 of a very hard-fought battle.  This year I don't want to be in the final 4, hell not even the final 3 I want to be the winner.  However though I must focus on the task at hand I must first get through Donny Diamond.  See Donny I'm sure you have the same goal as me to walk into Pain for Pride IF you beat me and win that 24/7 Battle Royal.  However with that being said my focus, my ambition is much stronger my will to be in that match is much stronger than yours.  I have a mission and I will complete it.  I won't let my mission fail this easy Donny so if you've heard all the stories about me I am just warning you now don't let those get to your head I have become much better and if you don't believe me and if you fans don't believe me I will prove it come next Friday.  Donny don't doubt me for one second because of the stories you may have heard I am back and better than ever and as stated before I will prove.  As stated nearly a week ago I will put 100 percent into every match I am in starting with this one on Dynasty. EAW I am back and I am here to stay I will make it to Pain for Pride and I will do anything to make it happen.  Donny good luck to you I hope you are ready for a tough challenge if not and you walk into that ring thinking I am going to be as easy as everyone might have told you I am then...  Let's just say you've got another thing coming.

Grammar is a big issue.

Other than that, content is fine but you could flesh it out more, talk about your character in Japan and stuff, read what I said about being a face (I'm assuming you're one) and get an idea of how to be relatable and how to gain sympathy.
Back to top Go down
Anderson.

Anderson.

PostSubject: Re: Promo Lessons thread.   Promo Lessons thread. - Page 2 EmptyJune 19th 2015, 12:33 pm

Chris EliteSK wrote:

Try to make your promos more--for lack of a better word--poetic. Study someone like Tyler Parker and see how he's able to tell a story and convey his emotions onto the promo page. When you're promoing, it really seems like it's all "match this, match that."

"I won't let my mission fail this easy Donny so if you've heard all the stories about me I am just warning you now don't let those get to your head I have become much better and if you don't believe me and if you fans don't believe me I will prove it come next Friday."

That's a run-on sentence. What I would do is rephrase it to something like this (We have different styles, but you'll understand my point):

"Donny Diamond, there's been a plethora of stories that have flowed through this company. Believe me, I'm aware of that more than anyone else. However, those stores no longer mean anything. Last time I checked, we are living in the present, and in the present, Chris Elite is stronger. Faster. More intelligent. No man in the company--let alone you--can stop me.  I don't need you to believe me - I don't need to prove a single thing to you. But when I leave you in the floor in defeat, you better prove that you are worthy of being in the ring with me."

I don't know, just something I quickly wrote up. Your grammar could use work, and I would suggest this (this actually improved my grammar immensely):

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/598/01/
https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/607/02/

What I would also suggest is to read, watch, and study. I used to get suggestions from Jaywalker on TV shows that could improve my promos. That was the reason I started Game of Thrones. It's all up to you to chase greatness, man. You can continue being the mediocre e-fedder that you've always been, or actually do something for a change this time around.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Promo Lessons thread.   Promo Lessons thread. - Page 2 EmptyJune 19th 2015, 5:29 pm

I think one of the biggest keys with being a babyface is humility. For example, my guy is undefeated but has still managed to get over pretty well as a babyface so far (I hope) is because he never acts like he's unbeatable. He talks about how much skill he has but he never says his opponent can't beat him. Good babyfaces are confident but not overconfident.

One thing I noticed that makes an effective heel is taking a thread of truth and manipulating it to fit your agenda. I've always loved a heel where at first you kind of agree with them, but then as time goes on they take things further and further until you say "Okay, he has a point but this is too much." Or "He's bending the truth and committing sophistry to get his point across." Don't think the completely dastardly heel character can't work either, but it's nice to have a mixture of both done right.

As far as promos go, I say the best bit of advice is don't be afraid to go in to great detail with your words. You don't have to use big fancy words to have a compelling promo. But that doesn't mean you can't beef up your paragraphs a little bit. Some of the best people to study in terms of long-form promos are Mick Foley (I like the Cane Dewey or Uncle Willie ones from the old ECW) and Dean Ambrose (Jon Moxley in particular, when he was on the indies. He tells a lot of stories about his childhood and relates them all back to why he's feeling the way he is about something or why it's similar to a current situation). Jake Roberts is another good one if you want to know how to make every word sharp and every word count. If you wanna be a heel you study Flair for the basics. If you wanna be a face you study Dusty for the basics. Those two guys should be the go-to guys for Promoing 101. Don't be afraid to study promos of guys with similar gimmicks to you, too. Even if they're a bad promo, if you've been studying up on your Flair and Dusty, you'll already have the fundamentals you just need the flavor for the gimmick.

Everybody wants to be CM Punk now-a-days. Punk is a good promo to study but way too many people use his style and it lessens the value if we have 25 Voice of the Voiceless "I'm here to change EAW forever" type of guys.
Back to top Go down
The Mexican Samurai
Dynasty
Dynasty
The Mexican Samurai

Hailing From : San Jose, California

PostSubject: Re: Promo Lessons thread.   Promo Lessons thread. - Page 2 EmptyJune 20th 2015, 3:42 am

Samurai wrote:
The Board of Directors, 

You don't know who I am and ...I don't blame you.  I'm nothing.  I'm someone who hasn't done jack shit in this company that's worthy to be praised, respected or remembered.  My bones are brittle and I sometimes lose my train of thought; have you ever completely forgotten whole nights?  I have.  It's not really fun, in fact, I won my first match on Voltage but I don't have any kind of memory of my triumph.  It's scary, having to recollects events that took place just the night before.  It isn't a situation where I've had way too many drinks during the night; this is a permanent side effect of having my head smashed into the gray-infested canvas of the squared circle, and with each percussive rebound of my skull hitting the mat, I would lose memories of my first promo, my first love, and even my child's birth.  Do you know how many times I've cried throughout the night as I sat pondering my surroundings?  To be honest, I don't even know where I'm at right now.  No, I'm not literally questioning my location.  I'm asking, where am I in the hierarchy of EAW? 

I started from the bottom and now I'm here...at the bottom.  Nothing has changed, but in order to get noticed I have to stick my chest out, arch my head back and yell.  What's a good way to get noticed without bitching, whining, and moaning?  I feel as though I'm asking a lot of questions but don't worry this isn't a three page essay, there are no finals, though there will definitely be a "dead day". Those days will be on Saturday and Sunday, June twenty-seventh and twenty-eight  and I'm talking to you because I want to fulfill your request.   

I want a match at Pride for Pain.   

I know...I know... I'm not a former Answers World Champion or an Interwire Champion, I haven't had storied career with Ragnarok and this might be a death wish for me but once in a while you have to test your limits in order to determine where you stand in the company of others.  I'm not saying I'm better than anyone else, because let's face it, I've only had one match since my debut.  I'm pretty sure that some wrestlers will destroy me but it doesn't hurt to give it the "ol' college try".  Once again, I just want to reiterate that there will be no finals.   

I'm a former nobody whose done nothing and I'm sure that you know what my ultimate agenda is.  I've only reiterated it again and again and again.  I don't want to go off like a broke record stating that "I'll destroy this" and "I'll destroy that" because even I can't predict the future.  I want a fight though.  I want to delve my knuckle into some eye sockets and feel my fingernails scraping their retinas.  This need...no ….this desire to fight comes from the utter disappointment of not having a match on Voltage. 

I can't believe that I was passed over for a match this week.  

How could they strip desire from a prideful man?  Yet, I've seen this done countless times.  A person walks through the farm of wrestling canvas and rubber soled boots and is raped of any kind of hope and dignity they had for their futures.  Once again, the powers in charge decide to stop any kind of momentum that I was previously built up from an exciting win.  They put their proverbial foot on my throat as I squirm; trying to gasp for any sort of assistance in order to stay alive.   

I have to take matters into my own hands though, and that's why I'm asking you to accept MY challenge, Board of Directors. If you are frustrated with someone calling you out, let this be a moment for you to get angry and attempt to beat the shit out of me.  Use every bit of motivation that you have in order to give me the greatest challenge of my life.  I want to run and leap over the wall that hinders my ability to excel in this promotion.  I want people to take notice of me, even if it's just stifled laughter.   

Take notice, 

Board of Directors. 

Any kind of feedback would be much appreciated. I'm definitely looking to improve my promos to some of the levels in which I see others here on the board. A lot of amazing work.
Back to top Go down
TLA
Voltage
Voltage
TLA

Hailing From : Where they ain't want me to be #ThaHall

PostSubject: Re: Promo Lessons thread.   Promo Lessons thread. - Page 2 EmptyJune 20th 2015, 10:26 am

Others pretty much covered the things I noticed in Franchise Demon and SK's promos. 

In FD's case I really think you just need to write more. Ignore the quality > quantity arguments for awhile, that will come with time. You should really just be trying to spend as much time in your character's shoes as possible until you get a good understanding of how he talks, how he thinks, etc. That will take time also, but eventually when you read other promos and write your own it will almost become second nature to leave your own mind and become your character.

In SK's case, I feel like you could do something more than just say you are going to prove yourself repeatedly. This is a return promo, so I feel like you should be trying to something impactful, and setting up your character more. I know you are capable of doing that and hopefully you have a long game going here.

@Samurai - This was pretty good. I like the format of your promo being a letter to the Board of Directors. Speaking of format, all three of the promos posted on this thread so far have been red. That's not really an issue, but some of you might want to change that to stand out more. Your character is definitely not very likable so hopefully that is what you are going for (I assume that you're a heel without looking at your sign-up). I guess the only advice I'd have is to keep changing up what you're doing. Take risks, try new things with your character. Some will work, some won't but that's the best way to improve. Otherwise, I could see this getting boring fairly quickly and you really don't want that. You're doing great so far though so really no complaints.
Back to top Go down

Hailing From : Sparta, Greece
Status : As soon as I am set for landing amongst EAW, you all will see the wrath of an assailant.

PostSubject: Re: Promo Lessons thread.   Promo Lessons thread. - Page 2 EmptyJune 20th 2015, 5:39 pm

I know people common say that he or she would like to promo as if they were like this specific wrestler, but that isn't always the case. There have been a lot of people in e-federations who would like to contend for picture bases such as CM Punk, Chris Jericho, Austin Aries, just because of how they resemble in real life---they are edgy, they are purely genuine when it comes to the microphone, and most of all, they are the most popular. However, try and add in your own kind of blend and ingredients when you promo, especially with your gimmick.

Even though that there is a sign-up page for you to clearly state your gimmick, there are always rooms opened for innovation. Lets say that someone has a gimmick as being a "God". There have been MANY people within the past that have chosen to do those type of gimmicks, simply because they want to seem more "powerful" or not show any 'vulnerability" in storyline. Also, they would like to have minions, or followers or worshipers to idol him/her. There is nothing wrong with that, with the exception that don't be bland. It doesn't hurt to think of more ideas. I can understand that at separate times, one might realize that they have been repetitive trying to transition to another point, or start to halt in their promoing because they don't know what to say next. We've all been through it, our brains get opened ajar in situations such as these, but you need to have an alteration, a modest Plan B.

Also with what Dark Demon stated grandiosely, try and be relatable as possible. When any of you guys decide to change picture bases in the near future, ponder with much intensity and see which picture base would ideally fit your character/gimmick. There have been many instances where people choose menacing picture bases such as Kane, Batista, even Roman Reigns, but they have hard times trying to establish a strong connection with their pic base. It all boils down to uniqueness, and how you can spice up this specific attribute for your gimmick.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Promo Lessons thread.   Promo Lessons thread. - Page 2 EmptyJune 20th 2015, 9:50 pm

The Art of being a Heel

Like being a babyface, the absolute first thing you need to understand when being a heel is that you need to be hated. Simply being ‘’disliked’’ isn’t enough. One thing I’ve always seen throughout my time in e-feds is people saying that being a heel is easy because all you need to do is be an ‘’asshole’’ and I’ve always strongly disagreed with that notion. For one, it’s completely wrong to just plainly assume that all heels must be an asshole and two, actually pulling off being a great heel and making people hate you is much more harder than it is to get people to love you and there’s honestly only a handful of people I’ve ever seen in e-feds correctly pull this off.

Get Heat. This is absolutely crucial, faces need to get sympathy and heels need to get heat. For anybody who doesn’t know what the term ‘heat’ means; it’s essentially the amount of hate a wrestler can receive from a crowd. A face wrestler gets a ‘pop’ and the heel gets ‘heat’. If you’re a heel and you don’t have or you simply cannot get heat, you’re failing in your job as a heel. If people are actively cheering for you in a chat during a live show, you’re failing in your job as a heel. The two best guys who get the best amount of heat in promos –atleast when I’m reading them- is when DEDEDE and Carlos Rosso are heels. When DEDEDE and Carlos are heels, they will say absolutely any-fucking-thing they need too to piss their opponent off, they will DO whatever they have to do in a promo to piss people off and you don’t just think reading their promos ‘what an asshole’ but rather ‘What a fucking dick, I wanna punch him in the face’ and THAT is the reaction you absolutely need to be going for if you ever want to be a top heel in EAW. I said it yesterday in the face post about how Cage would gain sympathy in his promos in his feud with DEDEDE, but he was also helped by the fact that DEDEDE would say the absolute cruellest shit to Cage to make him look like an absolute asshole right to the point where every single person in EAW wanted Cage to kick DDD’s ass because DDD knows exactly how to push people’s buttons and get underneath their skin, Carlos in the original CWF would have people legitimately on the promo page telling him to eat a bag of dicks because like DEDEDE, Carlos knows exactly how to push your buttons and get underneath your skin and makes you want to punch him in the face and again, THAT’S the reaction you should be going for, in my opinion anything less of that isn’t acceptable if you want to be a main eventer if you absolutely want to get as much heat as possible. It goes right back to my point before, simply being ‘’disliked’’ is not enough if you want to be a main eventer.

Another aspect of getting heat isn’t even just to push people’s buttons and annoy them, because there so many different kinds of heels and it’s why it annoys so much when people just say things like ‘just be an asshole if you’re a heel’ because it’s incredibly false. When I was doing the Raven-like character last year, I’d talk about a lot of sympathetic stuff, things like ‘Oh, I come from a broken home’’, ‘’my dad’s an alcoholic’’ ‘’Xavier, Tarah, Lucian, etc all turned on me and took my title away’’ but I’d say it in such a way that it came off as being a crybaby and it worked greatly as a heel because 1. Nobody likes a crybaby and 2. Even if the crybaby shit doesn’t work, it reminds people of somebody they know who always blames their problems on somebody else, who never takes any blame for their problems and is typically an outcast. There is so many different ways to be a heel, all you need to do is understand what type of personalities people hate and why they hate them and use it to your advantage.

Another one also is to talk about things that make people uncomfortable and want to boo you because you’re talking about things that people don’t want to admit to themselves. CM Punk in the Straight-Edge Society is a really good example, he’d talk about the damages alcohol can do to you, the damage smoking cigarettes would do to you and instead of being cheered for actually trying to get people to live a healthy life-style, people boo’d him. People boo’d him for the simple reason he was talking about stuff that nobody wanted to admit to themselves, for me example I smoke and this guy talking about lung cancer makes me hate him because he’s talking about stuff that I don’t want to admit to myself and that’s how he became one of the hottest heels in the company during 2009. It’s the same with Mick Foley in ECW, He’d talk about how shitty ECW could be for the wrestlers, how the fans expected so much out of them for such little money and brand them as ‘sell-outs’ if they accepted guaranteed

contracts from WCW/WWE and the dude was one of the hottest heels in ECW at the time. 

Do not be funny. This is actually one of my big pet peeves with people who promo as a heel and try to be funny, it’s why even if REALLYGOODTEAM didn’t bomb hard as fuck with the corny jokes last year, they still would have, if you’re making people laugh, how on god’s green earth are you going to be hated? How do you hate somebody who makes you laugh? You don’t. If you’re going to be a heel and you want to be funny, you absolutely need to be funny in a dick way, funny in the way that the bully pushing the kid into mud is funny to him but to nobody else. It’s like the Rock when he’s a heel, the Rock doesn’t make jokes to entertain the crowd, he will make jokes to INSULT the crowd. If you’re just making jokes that will entertain people – you’re not being a heel.

Back to top Go down
TLA
Voltage
Voltage
TLA

PostSubject: Re: Promo Lessons thread.   Promo Lessons thread. - Page 2 EmptyJune 21st 2015, 9:47 am

Rhaegar wrote:
I know people common say that he or she would like to promo as if they were like this specific wrestler, but that isn't always the case. There have been a lot of people in e-federations who would like to contend for picture bases such as CM Punk, Chris Jericho, Austin Aries, just because of how they resemble in real life---they are edgy, they are purely genuine when it comes to the microphone, and most of all, they are the most popular. However, try and add in your own kind of blend and ingredients when you promo, especially with your gimmick.

Even though that there is a sign-up page for you to clearly state your gimmick, there are always rooms opened for innovation. Lets say that someone has a gimmick as being a "God". There have been MANY people within the past that have chosen to do those type of gimmicks, simply because they want to seem more "powerful" or not show any 'vulnerability" in storyline. Also, they would like to have minions, or followers or worshipers to idol him/her. There is nothing wrong with that, with the exception that don't be bland. It doesn't hurt to think of more ideas. I can understand that at separate times, one might realize that they have been repetitive trying to transition to another point, or start to halt in their promoing because they don't know what to say next. We've all been through it, our brains get opened ajar in situations such as these, but you need to have an alteration, a modest Plan B.

Also with what Dark Demon stated grandiosely, try and be relatable as possible. When any of you guys decide to change picture bases in the near future, ponder with much intensity and see which picture base would ideally fit your character/gimmick. There have been many instances where people choose menacing picture bases such as Kane, Batista, even Roman Reigns, but they have hard times trying to establish a strong connection with their pic base. It all boils down to uniqueness, and how you can spice up this specific attribute for your gimmick.
I legit thought this was a promo. Wtf brah y u formatting ur forum posts?
Back to top Go down
Erica Ford

Erica Ford

Hailing From : Talladega, Florida

PostSubject: Re: Promo Lessons thread.   Promo Lessons thread. - Page 2 EmptyJune 23rd 2015, 1:35 pm

I posted a promo earlier today. If I could get some feedback on it I'd definitely appreciate it. Or would it be better if i posted it here?
Back to top Go down
The Black Prince

The Black Prince

PostSubject: Re: Promo Lessons thread.   Promo Lessons thread. - Page 2 EmptyJune 23rd 2015, 4:35 pm

Hey double D aka Dark Demon. I'm pretty new to this whole e-fedding thing and I would like you or anyone else to read my debut promo that I posted the other day. I also want to add that I totally read your view point of Art Of Being A Heel when I was making my character and shit. Thanks Man ! You basically just laid out the foundation of what I need to do to become a good heel. Hope you all like my promo and give me some feedback. I can't wait to see how my character gets used here  Cool Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Promo Lessons thread.   Promo Lessons thread. - Page 2 EmptyJune 23rd 2015, 8:25 pm

I'm happy to read anybody's promo and give anybody feedback on them, you don't always have to post them on here but considering this is Pain for Pride week and there's a shit-ton of promos being posted this week, it'd be alot easier if you could post them on here or PM me them instead of me rooting through tons of pages to find them.
Back to top Go down
TLA
Voltage
Voltage
TLA

PostSubject: Re: Promo Lessons thread.   Promo Lessons thread. - Page 2 EmptyJune 23rd 2015, 8:35 pm

Dark Demon wrote:
I'm happy to read anybody's promo and give anybody feedback on them, you don't always have to post them on here but considering this is Pain for Pride week and there's a shit-ton of promos being posted this week, it'd be alot easier if you could post them on here or PM me them instead of me rooting through tons of pages to find them.
You don't have to go through tons of pages to find promos. If you click someones name, then click the Statistics tab, and click the link in the Posts section it will show all the messages posted by that user including promos.

I'd also recommend people use this to quickly check if their opponent has promod or not.

Last edited by TLA on June 23rd 2015, 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bhris Elite
Voltage
Voltage
Bhris Elite

PostSubject: Re: Promo Lessons thread.   Promo Lessons thread. - Page 2 EmptyJune 23rd 2015, 8:37 pm

Hope some of the advice worked for me in my last 3 promos for PFP.  :balor:
Back to top Go down
Erica Ford

Erica Ford

Hailing From : Talladega, Florida

PostSubject: Re: Promo Lessons thread.   Promo Lessons thread. - Page 2 EmptyJune 23rd 2015, 9:02 pm

Pain for Pride Podcast Number One: 

THE FALLING HOUSE OF CARDS (or)…..

HOLY CRAP, MY PARTNER IS ALIVE!!! 

(The camera comes into focus with a surprisingly bubbly Erica clapping enthusiastically as she sits on her hotel bed. She’s dressed in a Pikachu tank top and black pajama pants, her long hair swishing back and forth as she nods her head.) 

Thank you! 

Thank you! 

Thank YOU ALL! 

Supporters of the #FreeAurora movement, you’ve had your day! My tag team partner, provided she doesn’t get conned by a crappy travel agent or some strange pervert again, is going to be at Pain for Pride with me! I’m kinda conflicted about it to be honest with you. Yeah, it’s great that my partner is going to be there with me. Hopefully we’ll get to do the Axxcess stuff, see the sights. Maybe I can even take her to the All England Tennis Club and show her around Wimbledon! I mean, if some ticked off old guard runs us out when I sneak her in. And yes, Aurora, I’m ticked off that you haven’t been here! But I’m happy you have a match on Pain for Pride now too. Something that I’m wondering though: If you WIN and I WIN and you have the contract and I have the Vixens Championship, does that mean that you can use the 24/7 Contract on the tag titles? I mean, I wouldn’t mind wrestling you and all that, but wouldn’t it be cool if we both had titles at the same time? Anyway, Aurora, I’m a little sad you and I haven’t been able to travel and stuff together, but I’m glad you’re on your way to London. Don’t you dare hide from me when you get here though. Because if you do, I will look for you. I WILL find you. And I will hug you so hard I crack a damn rib! 

Enough about that for now though, I have to focus my attention on the big time match in front of me. It’s not every day that in your first Pay-Per-View appearance you get put in a 9 vs 1 Handicap match. It’s also not everyday you get a shot at the Vixens Championship. It’s also not everyday that a match like this happens at Pain for Pride! Honestly when I found out I was put into this match my mind was kinda blown. Just a few weeks ago none of you have even HEARD of me and now I have a chance to wrestle for a championship. The thing about the match though that’s worrying me is everybody’s already getting so bitchy and catty about it, yanno? 

First thing: Tarah…you totally ripped off my declaration of war speech! I mean with the combat fatigues and the podium and the other stuff. It was just like what I did except I’ll admit you got better production values out of it. By the way, who designed that Red X thing for you? That was kinda cool! But some of the stuff you said about me was not cool. Well….now that I think about it, nothing you said about anyone was very nice. I’m new and not necessarily well-schooled on everyone’s personalities yet but I think you have the picture of us girls all wrong you know? We don’t sit around bitching about everything. We’re not just waiting on some cute guy to walk around and check him out. Okay, okay, Aurora does that SOMETIMES but she’s pretty sly about it. Trust me, peeps, she’s not as shy and innocent as she acts sometimes! Especially when she’s mad.

Anyway though, back on topic: Tarah…You kinda remind me of the Queen of Hearts in Alice in Wonderland. You have power. You’re…uh….kinda flat? I don’t know where I’m going with this analogy quite yet….I GOT IT! If you had your own kingdom, everyone’s head would be chopped off! I mean, you insult people like Haruna and Maddie who work hard and just want a decent shot. Not just at you, but to succeed in general. They look at the success that you have had and what Cameron has had and what HBG has had and want to taste that. They’re a little frustrated that you’re hogging up all the airtime and all the glory. Just between you and me, going that far with Haruna as to call her whorish was a bit low. I know she had some pretty not nice things to say about you, but I don’t think it gives a Champion, someone who’s been the unquestioned Ace of this division the right to say some of the things you said. That kind of stuff should be just left alone, you know? You said that you watched Vixens come and go but the funny thing is two of your closest competitors have been here for months and months and you still haven’t been able to drive them away. You’ve done everything that you could to physically, emotionally, and psychologically break Maddie, Haruna, Ariana, Cherish but guess what Tarah? They’re STILL THERE! And it’s not because they just want to dethrone you that they want to stay! They want to stay so that the Vixens division can be taken to a level that it’s never been before. Yes, Cameron and HBG are some of the best, but they had strangleholds on the division at a time when I think one nerdy fan boy I talked to described as “anemic at best, downright nonexistent at worst.” Now look at the Vixens division! Three Championship matches at Pain for Pride will involve women! I’m really proud to be apart of that, you know? 

You know of all the stuff that you said though, the one thing that made me smile, Tarah? You called me a “road kill” newbie. The only time you’ve actually seen me do anything was in a battle royal. Yeah, I didn’t win, but I certainly didn’t show everything in the arsenal. If you think that I’m just some “noob” that’s going to come and go, you’re very sadly mistaken. You have wrestled the other girls here but you haven’t wrestled me or Aurora yet. You’ve not seen the speed we have or the agility we have. You’re the champ for a reason, I get that, but nothing and I mean NOTHING burns me up faster than being looked down on and honestly that’s what you’re doing, isn’t it? Do you think that just because you have thrown around other girls that you’re going to throw me around too? That I’m gonna ‘kiss the ring’ just because the Almighty Power of Tarah Nova and her legions of horny fan boys compels me to? 

NOPE! 

At Pain for Pride, this “roadkill newbie” is going to put her foot down on the accelerator and show you what the Sky Drivers are all about! Speed kills, Champ and if you keep talking like I’m just some doe staring into the headlights of the Tarah Express I’m going to make sure that you leave London embarrassed and about twenty pounds worth of gold lighter.

The thing that worries me about this match isn’t Tarah Nova honestly. She’s a great competitor and has proven herself to be a fighting, competent champion, attitude aside. My biggest concern about this match is the sort of greed and apathy that are taking root on my team as we speak. Haruna, what’s your deal!? You have been struggling with this back and forth for a while it seems like. I know you want to beat Tarah badly but it’s not good enough for you to sit back and watch with some bit of apathy like you’re watching some B-level action movie! You out of all of us needs to win this the most. We need someone like you to be focused on winning, someone to help keep this match from descending into complete and total chaos. Of all the Vixens who are at least involved in this match, you’re the one most capable of taking Tarah down! We need you to focus more on winning the match instead of just seeing Tarah humiliated. Wrestling isn’t about just beating someone up or humiliating them. Wrestling is about fighting as hard as you can and putting on the best show you can. Leave that other stuff to the side.

Maddie, my heart kinda breaks when I saw what you had to say too. I expect you to want to win, but this seems about something a bit more personal to you. I really wish that we had met sooner because I think you, me and Aurora would have gotten along pretty great. Right now though it seems like you feel that you’ve been slighted, disrespected. Honestly I understand…but do you think that you being overlooked is because you’ve had a few chances here and there but underperformed in the big spots? Look, I’m not trying to pour it on, but you’ve had chances too! And you’re not losing because you’re too nice or inferior to anybody else here…it’s just that you haven’t been able to finish it off, you know? Even as I was working my way up on the independent scene I would watch EAW shows and the Vixen I most wanted to be like was not Tarah Nova or Heart Break Gal or Haruna. It was YOU! Not because you were a champion or got all the attention or the guys staring at them or anything like that. But because you went out to the ring, wrestled your butt off and still had a kind enough spirit to do all the charity events and things like that. It really hurts me to my soul that you sound as bitter as you do. I want to beat Tarah badly, just like you and Haruna want to. But the problem with you right now is I think you’re starting to get blinded by all the gold in the room. You’re better than being a complainer. You’re better than letting this business, this sport, tear you up inside like it clearly has. WAKE. UP. 

For that matter, where are the rest of the girls? Why aren’t they speaking out? Why have none of them reached out to me or Aurora? Why are the Rampages silent? Where is Alexis? Ariana? You and Haruna…uh, obviously have a thing. Why aren’t you helping her get steered in the right direction mentally? Where is Cherish, who was one of the mainstays of this division at one time? Why is her voice not being heard? Maria Gonzales? Don’t you hear Tarah calling you out and making fun of you and all that? Why are the only people talking about this match besides me so focused on themselves and not on what this match means to EAW and to women’s wrestling in general, huh? 

I don’t know if you girls get it yet, but this match is bigger than all of us. We have to put aside our petty differences and let go of a lot of different hurts to succeed here. By no logical means, ABSOLUTELY NONE, should we lose this match. But the bickering, the bitching, the complaining, the sulking, none of it’s going to help! Just by throwing the Vixens Championship into this, our team is already poisoned. We have the numbers on our side girls but Tarah has a considerable advantage that I’m worried we can’t overcome: Our own greed. Everyone wants to knock her off but only one of us can. I’m not going to lie, I want that belt too. I understand though that just because I want something that doesn’t mean it’s best for me. I’m willing to sacrifice for my fellow Vixen. I want to prove to the world that we can compete as a unified force if necessary to purge out the unwanted forces. 

We have to put our individual agendas aside. We have to put our anger aside. We have to put our lack of trust aside because if we don’t then a golden opportunity to wrestle the title away from Tarah’s going to blow up right in our faces and the world will think of us as just one big joke. I don’t know about the rest of you girls but I didn’t come here to be a joke! At the end of the day, it’s up to you all what happens. I’m only one person and I’m the newest of The Nine chosen to battle it out with Tarah. Our House cannot be divided girls, or it’s going to come crashing down in our faces. 

I’ll always have Drive…but I’m really starting to worry with all the confusion and anger we have working against us if it will be enough.

(With a worried look on her face, Erica waves goodbye to those watching, cutting off the camera.) 
Back to top Go down
The Black Prince

The Black Prince

PostSubject: Re: Promo Lessons thread.   Promo Lessons thread. - Page 2 EmptyJune 23rd 2015, 9:34 pm

I don't know if have enough posts to do a PM

Update: Sent it Daddy-O
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Promo Lessons thread.   Promo Lessons thread. - Page 2 EmptyJune 29th 2015, 2:08 pm

So for those who don't know, Scott Oasis is going to be doing a live chat verison of this with myself, DDD, Y2Impact.

Just let one of us, preferably Oasis who is hosting it and knows more about this detail wise, know if you want to attend and be able to get answers for your promos, if you're new or just want to ask questions about any of this or anything with promos from the perspective of three Hall of Famers, I'd advise on attending.

I'll be restarting this tonight with developing a character and why you should and its importance.
Back to top Go down
#KimboLivesMatter

#KimboLivesMatter

Hailing From : portland

PostSubject: Re: Promo Lessons thread.   Promo Lessons thread. - Page 2 EmptyJune 29th 2015, 2:11 pm

when and where
Back to top Go down
Scott Oasis
Admin
Scott Oasis

PostSubject: Re: Promo Lessons thread.   Promo Lessons thread. - Page 2 EmptyJune 30th 2015, 12:14 pm

Tomorrow @5 in a private chat. If you need some promo advice I absolutely suggest you attend!
Back to top Go down
Anderson.

Anderson.

PostSubject: Re: Promo Lessons thread.   Promo Lessons thread. - Page 2 EmptyJune 30th 2015, 11:29 pm

There it stood – the never-ending, menacing, dark alleyway. Broken beer bottles surrounded the edges, and a man—wearing a blazing red hood which stretched down to the bottom of his eyes—is spotted in between the bottles.  Therehe stood – carrying such a sinister aura which vibrated throughout the alley. The voice of the man resonatesthroughout the area.

Regret is such a strong word in our universe.

We plan on doing something, we absolutely have intentions of acting on those plans, and  when certain things do not go our way... we regret. We regret that we had not acted a certain way. The doctors you see fail to save lives go to sleep each and every night knowing that they could have acted a different way to save someone's life – your loved ones life. The elderly who lie in the bed knowing their life is only a matter of seconds away regretting not living their life a certain way. Why? Because they didn't do what they should have done. They lived their lives slaves to the system – the system that has programmed us to be modern-day slaves. How often do we see men and women living in today's capitalist society and follow orders which they rather wouldn't? The harsh reality of the matter is this:  we have been programmed to live our lives being slaves to the system, and you see, the avenue which I am in is far from that. The boulevard which I decided to walk down many years ago is a boulevard of both broken dreams and achieved dreams. On this boulevard, nothing is taken for granted. Everything is earned. I forever had these ideas in my mind that I could... well, I could do anything that I wanted. When it finally hit me that I couldn't do what I wanted and had to fight for my share, it turned me into a different animal. Alex Anderson was on the way to finally pursuing his dream once and for all, but what he realized was that the accomplishments he was receiving were not ample. Never. He was never satisfied. In that predicament, what can any man do? I was walking down that path of sanity and insanity, and on that line, I had come to grips with reality: I was no longer a human.

You heard correctly: Alex Anderson is not a human being.

He's a vile creature.

I grew up a poor kid who had nothing, but once I started getting something, that "something" wasn't enough. What I wanted after all was the world championship. It was my final destination. It was going to change my life around. It was going to bring me the happiness that I had lost years ago... and on Sunday night, I lost. For 45 straight minutes, I valiantly fought my greatest enemy in Tyler Parker. I was so close to finally retrieving what I had wanted – not just the championship, but just knowing that I defeated Tyler Parker of all men. I was sure I was going to win. I knew it. I had installed it within myself that I was going to win and a loss was not within the realms of possibility. When he struck me with the final depravity off of the top-rope, all that I could think of was my memories. Memories of my past-life. Memories of the life that I was living now. A plethora of memories were arising out of the blue, and I did something I had promised I would not do. I had sworn to myself that I wouldn't. I laid down for the three-count. At first, I was angry. That match took everything that I had, and if I had to die in exchange for becoming the EAW world heavyweight champion, then I would have gladly done so. But I didn't. I didn't live up to my word, and I lost to Tyler Parker. To the 100,000 in attendance, I was simply a man who they looked at as the villain. Prior to Pain for Pride, I had compared myself to the likes of Joseph Stalin and Adolf Hitler... and I still hold that to be true. It's becoming more and more clear to me now that I cannot stop fighting. I don't enjoy losing. I don't enjoy having to look at myself in the morning and know that I still have not won the world heavyweight championship. That same look is tiresome and has left a dark cloud over my head. I want to rid this dark cloud, and now the question everyone asks:

What will Alex Anderson do now?

Has Tyler Parker taken everything away from me?

Millions of people across the world wait for the likes of Devan Dubian and Xavier Williams to succeed.

But even more than wanting them to succeed they want Alex Anderson to fail.

I've gotten quite used to this idea of myself being the residential scapegoat in Extreme Answers Wrestling. The majority of you believe that this is the end for me. I am sure that you all perceive me as just another man who never panned out to be what he said he would. To that, I don't wish for evil to happen to you. Veritably, I want you to continue disbelieving, because that makes me being victorious so much sweeter. Oh, yes... I not only embrace it, but I can't live without it. It fuels me like glucose does to the brain. You see, I will forever be changed by that loss to Tyler Parker, because it's reassured me what my true objective is now. My objective is to regain the moniker of the Ace of EAW. That is the the sole thing which Tyler Parker has taken from me. Until I feel worthy of doing so, I will never call myself the ace. However long of a process this may be, I'm 27 years old and time is the only constant which I have in my life. My eyes are now set on defeating the legendary Y2Impact on July 5th.

Sunday night will mark a new chapter in the book of Alex Anderson, and you are exactly the man I want, Y2Impact. Only a matter of days prior to Pain for Pride, I defeated the greatest extremist in the history of this company – Mr.DEDEDE. When it comes to men who can dispute that claim, there only exist two: Jaywalker—a man who I've already defeated—and you, Y2Impact. The reasoning behind me needing you in that ring is as simple as answering an elementary-school math question: I want to elevate myself. Though I've never seen you as an intimidating figure in the previous encounters that we have, I know your worth. I see the worth in every man that walks in this company, and I know if I can use them to propel myself in any way, shape, or form, then I will gladly do so. The same will be done when you and I are locked-in within the caustic squared-circle. I will use to propel myself and once again place myself in the conversation for the world heavyweight championship. You, on the other hand... well, I don't know what direction your career is taking. I mean, it's awesome – you're doing great things with the love of your life, if that's what she is to you. I don't care. What I do know is that you didn't impress me at Pain for Pride. You didn't show me anything that I haven't seen before. 

Congratulations, you won a championship in the weakest division in EAW. That was just a warm-up match for this match on Sunday night. I'll be ready, but I'm not quite sold that you will be.

Faber est quisque fortunae suae.

The man pulls out of his pocket a pack of cigarettes and a lighter. Lighting it up, he begins to smoke the cigarette. Blowing the smoke in the direction of the camera, the camera—in synchronization—fades to black.

THOUGHTS?

IMPROVEMENTS?

WHAT YOU LIKED?
Back to top Go down
The Mexican Samurai
Dynasty
Dynasty
The Mexican Samurai

Hailing From : San Jose, California

PostSubject: Re: Promo Lessons thread.   Promo Lessons thread. - Page 2 EmptyJuly 1st 2015, 4:23 am

Anderson. wrote:
There it stood – the never-ending, menacing, dark alleyway. Broken beer bottles surrounded the edges, and a man—wearing a blazing red hood which stretched down to the bottom of his eyes—is spotted in between the bottles.  Therehe stood – carrying such a sinister aura which vibrated throughout the alley. The voice of the man resonatesthroughout the area.

Regret is such a strong word in our universe.

We plan on doing something, we absolutely have intentions of acting on those plans, and  when certain things do not go our way... we regret. We regret that we had not acted a certain way. The doctors you see fail to save lives go to sleep each and every night knowing that they could have acted a different way to save someone's life – your loved ones life. The elderly who lie in the bed knowing their life is only a matter of seconds away regretting not living their life a certain way. Why? Because they didn't do what they should have done. They lived their lives slaves to the system – the system that has programmed us to be modern-day slaves. How often do we see men and women living in today's capitalist society and follow orders which they rather wouldn't? The harsh reality of the matter is this:  we have been programmed to live our lives being slaves to the system, and you see, the avenue which I am in is far from that. The boulevard which I decided to walk down many years ago is a boulevard of both broken dreams and achieved dreams. On this boulevard, nothing is taken for granted. Everything is earned. I forever had these ideas in my mind that I could... well, I could do anything that I wanted. When it finally hit me that I couldn't do what I wanted and had to fight for my share, it turned me into a different animal. Alex Anderson was on the way to finally pursuing his dream once and for all, but what he realized was that the accomplishments he was receiving were not ample. Never. He was never satisfied. In that predicament, what can any man do? I was walking down that path of sanity and insanity, and on that line, I had come to grips with reality: I was no longer a human.

You heard correctly: Alex Anderson is not a human being.

He's a vile creature.

I grew up a poor kid who had nothing, but once I started getting something, that "something" wasn't enough. What I wanted after all was the world championship. It was my final destination. It was going to change my life around. It was going to bring me the happiness that I had lost years ago... and on Sunday night, I lost. For 45 straight minutes, I valiantly fought my greatest enemy in Tyler Parker. I was so close to finally retrieving what I had wanted – not just the championship, but just knowing that I defeated Tyler Parker of all men. I was sure I was going to win. I knew it. I had installed it within myself that I was going to win and a loss was not within the realms of possibility. When he struck me with the final depravity off of the top-rope, all that I could think of was my memories. Memories of my past-life. Memories of the life that I was living now. A plethora of memories were arising out of the blue, and I did something I had promised I would not do. I had sworn to myself that I wouldn't. I laid down for the three-count. At first, I was angry. That match took everything that I had, and if I had to die in exchange for becoming the EAW world heavyweight champion, then I would have gladly done so. But I didn't. I didn't live up to my word, and I lost to Tyler Parker. To the 100,000 in attendance, I was simply a man who they looked at as the villain. Prior to Pain for Pride, I had compared myself to the likes of Joseph Stalin and Adolf Hitler... and I still hold that to be true. It's becoming more and more clear to me now that I cannot stop fighting. I don't enjoy losing. I don't enjoy having to look at myself in the morning and know that I still have not won the world heavyweight championship. That same look is tiresome and has left a dark cloud over my head. I want to rid this dark cloud, and now the question everyone asks:

What will Alex Anderson do now?

Has Tyler Parker taken everything away from me?

Millions of people across the world wait for the likes of Devan Dubian and Xavier Williams to succeed.

But even more than wanting them to succeed they want Alex Anderson to fail.

I've gotten quite used to this idea of myself being the residential scapegoat in Extreme Answers Wrestling. The majority of you believe that this is the end for me. I am sure that you all perceive me as just another man who never panned out to be what he said he would. To that, I don't wish for evil to happen to you. Veritably, I want you to continue disbelieving, because that makes me being victorious so much sweeter. Oh, yes... I not only embrace it, but I can't live without it. It fuels me like glucose does to the brain. You see, I will forever be changed by that loss to Tyler Parker, because it's reassured me what my true objective is now. My objective is to regain the moniker of the Ace of EAW. That is the the sole thing which Tyler Parker has taken from me. Until I feel worthy of doing so, I will never call myself the ace. However long of a process this may be, I'm 27 years old and time is the only constant which I have in my life. My eyes are now set on defeating the legendary Y2Impact on July 5th.

Sunday night will mark a new chapter in the book of Alex Anderson, and you are exactly the man I want, Y2Impact. Only a matter of days prior to Pain for Pride, I defeated the greatest extremist in the history of this company – Mr.DEDEDE. When it comes to men who can dispute that claim, there only exist two: Jaywalker—a man who I've already defeated—and you, Y2Impact. The reasoning behind me needing you in that ring is as simple as answering an elementary-school math question: I want to elevate myself. Though I've never seen you as an intimidating figure in the previous encounters that we have, I know your worth. I see the worth in every man that walks in this company, and I know if I can use them to propel myself in any way, shape, or form, then I will gladly do so. The same will be done when you and I are locked-in within the caustic squared-circle. I will use to propel myself and once again place myself in the conversation for the world heavyweight championship. You, on the other hand... well, I don't know what direction your career is taking. I mean, it's awesome – you're doing great things with the love of your life, if that's what she is to you. I don't care. What I do know is that you didn't impress me at Pain for Pride. You didn't show me anything that I haven't seen before. 

Congratulations, you won a championship in the weakest division in EAW. That was just a warm-up match for this match on Sunday night. I'll be ready, but I'm not quite sold that you will be.

Faber est quisque fortunae suae.

The man pulls out of his pocket a pack of cigarettes and a lighter. Lighting it up, he begins to smoke the cigarette. Blowing the smoke in the direction of the camera, the camera—in synchronization—fades to black.

THOUGHTS?

IMPROVEMENTS?

WHAT YOU LIKED?

Hopefully you don't mind if I give feedback, considering that I'm pretty much a noob to EAW myself.

I felt that this was a very strong promo.  There were some grammatical errors that distracted from the reading experience but these errors never take away from the overall mood.  

This is all constructive criticism and feel free to disregard anything that you don't particularly find useful.  First, I wouldn't underline a word unless it has a specific meaning.  Unless the alleyway represents something pivotal and must be emphasized, I would try to stay from underlines.

Same as using bold.  Bolded words draw my eyes away from the rest of the sentence so you better have a good reason to do it.  Paragraphs can still have impact with use of appropriate punctuation to separate ideas.

"The doctors you see fail to save lives go to sleep each and every night knowing that they could have acted a different way to save someone's life – your loved ones life. "

I get what you are trying to say here.  Continue, to find appropriate pause by reading out loud or having someone proofread for you.  I'm always willing to proofread in order to make sure there are no awkward pauses or run-on sentences.  Also, make sure to differentiate your use of verbiage in order to get rid of repetition.  "Life, life, lives" was used three times in the same sentence and can feel like you are just spouting the same thing over and over again.

You bring a sense of reality into your character which I can appreciate, I've always felt every character must have a sense of vulnerability in order to build a relationship with the reader.  

One thing that I must emphasize to all other e-fedders, that you do really well, is that you follow the elements of storytelling and the Rondo format:

There are three arcs in every great story.  There is the Exposition (setting, character, background information), the Conflict (what the issue is, why you are speaking), and the Resolution (what you intend to do, solving the problem).  

I like how you explained your character's whereabouts, history, and latest endeavors.  The conflict had to do with the endless questions that were placed into your mind following the loss to Tyler Parker and the resolution was your quest into reclaiming "The Ace of EAW" monikor that was stolen from you.

If only every e-fedder could follow these simply rules; it would make their role plays stand out from the rest of the pack.

I can see why you are one of the top dogs and I can't wait to read more of your amazing work so far.  Once again, I hope I didn't offend you by being nit picky but I love constructive feedback myself.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Promo Lessons thread.   Promo Lessons thread. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Promo Lessons thread.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next