Elite Answers Wrestling
Welcome old members and new visitors, EAW is still going stronger than ever and now runs out of a new upgraded forum! Be sure to check us out over at http://www.eawnetwork.com

Art of the Promo: A great feud SIGNUPBANNER
Elite Answers Wrestling
Welcome old members and new visitors, EAW is still going stronger than ever and now runs out of a new upgraded forum! Be sure to check us out over at http://www.eawnetwork.com

Art of the Promo: A great feud SIGNUPBANNER

The Land of Elite

HomeMain SitePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| EAW IS LEAVING FORUMOTION. WE HAD A NICE RUN HERE FOR 4 YEARS BUT OUR NEW FORUM WEBSITE WILL BE RAN OUT OF THIS LINK: eawnetwork.com JOIN THERE TODAY |||||||||||||||||||||||| KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR FOR MAIN SITE, eawrestling.com FOR MAJOR CHANGES, INCLUDING A NEW DESIGN, UPDATED ARCHIVES AND MORE WITHIN THE COMING DAYS AND WEEKS |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Top posting users this week
No user
Latest topics
» PAIN FOR PRIDE 11 DAY 1 TONIGHT! AT 6PM EST LIVE ON DISCORD
Art of the Promo: A great feud Emptyby Mr. DEDEDE June 21st 2018, 1:42 am

» MAJOR EAW UPDATE [ALL MEMBERS PLEASE READ]
Art of the Promo: A great feud Emptyby LVCIAN May 26th 2018, 1:46 pm

» The Compliment Game
Art of the Promo: A great feud Emptyby LVCIAN April 3rd 2018, 6:21 pm

» EAW Promoz!
Art of the Promo: A great feud Emptyby EAW April 2nd 2018, 10:46 pm

» NEXTAGE
Art of the Promo: A great feud Emptyby NEXTAGE April 2nd 2018, 3:46 pm

» Grand Rampage 2018 Reaction Thread
Art of the Promo: A great feud Emptyby Daisy Thrash April 2nd 2018, 3:01 pm

Upcoming Events

Note: Voice chat only activates when you want it to… Default chat is text.

Art of the Promo: A great feud

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jon McAdams
Voltage
Voltage
Jon McAdams

Hailing From : England, United Kingdoms

Art of the Promo: A great feud Empty
PostSubject: Art of the Promo: A great feud   Art of the Promo: A great feud EmptyOctober 26th 2016, 9:03 pm

As per usual, I enjoy picking the brains of the vets and wrestlers here and seeing how they think or operate or what has worked or been more effective. So this time, what do you think it takes to build a great feud? What does a great feud look like to you? Do you think it's more important to win or do you feel like building up to a great match or set of matches is more important?
Back to top Go down
showster26
Dynasty
Dynasty
showster26

Hailing From : The Great State Of California

PostSubject: Re: Art of the Promo: A great feud   Art of the Promo: A great feud EmptyOctober 26th 2016, 9:15 pm

Well most everyone would like to win feuds but when you've actually worked with others to make something that will be remebered it can be just as rewarding. It's hard to really capture a great feud in a bottle. You'll know it when you see it. If there was anything that all great feuds have its great workers meeting at the right time when they're both hot and giving it their best effort in their promos and the writers do the same with how each participant is booked. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I was honored to work the glass gauntlet match last year both because of the amazing talents that were I. The match, and the effort that each one put out in the promo page. It wasn't till after that match that I knew we made something very special and something I will never forget.
Back to top Go down
Azumi Goto
Empire
Empire
Azumi Goto

Hailing From : Orlando, Florida
Status : If you fall, be able to stand up on your own. And if you can do that, you're Unbreakable!

PostSubject: Re: Art of the Promo: A great feud   Art of the Promo: A great feud EmptyOctober 26th 2016, 9:27 pm

IMO, a great amount of Chemistry between the two people is needed, no matter how good they both are at writing, if the two can't click, neither can the characters when the promo writing. 

Building a feud can come depending on what kind of characters are they... For Example Nas vs Aren from this year's TI FPV was built by using the huge amount of history they both have together or DDD vs Sekaichi (My personal favorite feud) was another feud with a CRAP TON OF HISTORY.
Back to top Go down
『zakkii』
Empire
Empire
『zakkii』

Hailing From : WKWKWK Land

PostSubject: Re: Art of the Promo: A great feud   Art of the Promo: A great feud EmptyOctober 26th 2016, 11:28 pm

Azumi Goto wrote:
IMO, a great amount of Chemistry between the two people is needed, no matter how good they both are at writing, if the two can't click, neither can the characters when the promo writing. 
Pretty much the thing I am about to say.

Chemistry and Communication are the most important thing in an e-fed feud. We should communicate with our rival and work together to make the rivalry look good. At this point, when we build a good communication with our opponent, we create a great connection until the point of this feud where we don't care who wins at the end, the outcome will be equally great even either of us winning that feud.

I talked to Mike Showman few days ago about this. Yes, I think that way.... as an example, even I really hate Stephanie Matsuda in character, but we are discussing about what makes this feud interesting. Also, the last match with Heart Break Gal, me and HBG are a close friend and she always give me a lot of advice of promoing. I applied their advice against her and she has no hard feeling about it. This is why even I lost that match, I'm so happy to fight HBG because I found a click to her. I wish I can meet HBG again.

Well, yeah.... think about the recent rivalry between Ziggler and Miz. Both of them are a very good friend outside the ring, but inside the ring, they deliver a very emotional, anticipating and awesome feud between them and they reach the point where you don't even care about who's winning, the feud is already great anyway..... and now, look at Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels who had a real backstage beef and they applied it on their feud.... well, look what happened.
Back to top Go down
Nobi
Showdown
Showdown
Nobi

Hailing From : Indonesia

PostSubject: Re: Art of the Promo: A great feud   Art of the Promo: A great feud EmptyOctober 26th 2016, 11:34 pm

This is what I always have in mind: you have to make people care about you, your opponent (hence why I like to compliment my opponents in the beginning of my promo), and the feud itself. Of course, your opponent also need to do the same because a good chemistry will make the feud even further to another level.
Back to top Go down
Sir Killian Charlamagne
Dynasty
Dynasty
Sir Killian Charlamagne

Hailing From : Camelot, Ontario, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Art of the Promo: A great feud   Art of the Promo: A great feud EmptyOctober 26th 2016, 11:40 pm

I'd say it would be treating your character less like a "Gimmick" so to say and more like a Character in Dungeons and Dragons with certain strengths and weaknesses that make them seem more human. As for rivalries. You can make rivalries out of so many things. The best rivalries are always driven by what motivates both characters and how far are they willing to go to get it. 
Though one thing I find is that if there's no controversy; no one's going to be interested.
Back to top Go down
Bloody Jack
EAW Hall of Famer
EAW Hall of Famer

Hailing From : USA

PostSubject: Re: Art of the Promo: A great feud   Art of the Promo: A great feud EmptyOctober 27th 2016, 1:17 am

Chemistry and Story i feel are the two most important keys to a great feud

As already stated being able to work together with your partner in the feud is very important. You could have the most interesting and original story in wrestling history, but if the chemistry ain't there its still just a shit sandwich. As for what gies into chemistry...communication, being able to play off one another, creativity, etc.

And of course...story. Two people could gave grwat chemistry but a shit story which doesn't go anywhere. Whether the story is complex or simple it has to make sense for who is involved, whats being done and why, and like all stories has to evolve organically.
Back to top Go down
Mike Showman
Voltage
Voltage
Mike Showman

Hailing From : Queens, New York

PostSubject: Re: Art of the Promo: A great feud   Art of the Promo: A great feud EmptyOctober 27th 2016, 2:55 am

The basic thing is, you need to understand your opponent. You need to understand his/her gimmick properly and take notes as to the ways in which you can attack your opponent. For that, you also have to read their promos because promos are basically a reflection of the character itself

Also, like Haruna said, if you hate someone it can also channel some thoughts as to how you want to approach a feud. Just make sure if you hate someone, you don't spiral out of control. You must always be in control of yourself and what you want to say. Once things go spiraling out of control, the feud becomes a personal affair and that generates a negative vibe around you, something that you must avoid 

Now the third component is the promos. Your promos must be spot on about this person. Everything I said in the first step or the basic step should be reflected in your promos. Now, a great promo need not be 3000-4000 words, a 500 word promo with enough content can easily destroy a 4000 word promo with limited content. You have to get your point across and convince everyone as to why you are right and your opponent is wrong. A great promo war also gives the writers encouragement to write a great match and trust me, every feud needs a great match to cap it all off (to give an uncommon example, Kevin Steen vs El Generico Ladder war at Final Battle 2012 was a perfect ending to their feud)
Back to top Go down
Jon McAdams
Voltage
Voltage
Jon McAdams

PostSubject: Re: Art of the Promo: A great feud   Art of the Promo: A great feud EmptyOctober 27th 2016, 6:24 pm

Alright this is good stuff. Also gives some insight into how people approach each other. I saw mention of history with each other, and what not as part of a good feud. Have you ever seen a great feud spark right at the beginning? Have you ever felt like a one off match with a random opponent felt like your best feud as oppose to someone you've engaged in a full rivalry with?

Also do you believe that face vs Heel is best? Or do you feel like face V face, or heel V heel can work? Or better yet, do you ever feel like when you're a heel facing off against a heel that one naturally becomes the face in the match and vice versa
Back to top Go down
TLA
Voltage
Voltage
TLA

Hailing From : Where they ain't want me to be #ThaHall

PostSubject: Re: Art of the Promo: A great feud   Art of the Promo: A great feud EmptyOctober 27th 2016, 7:18 pm

talk shit about ur opponent and then ur opponent also talks shit about u
Back to top Go down
Jon McAdams
Voltage
Voltage
Jon McAdams

PostSubject: Re: Art of the Promo: A great feud   Art of the Promo: A great feud EmptyOctober 28th 2016, 2:38 pm

TLA wrote:
talk shit about ur opponent and then ur opponent also talks shit about u

:punker:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Art of the Promo: A great feud   Art of the Promo: A great feud Empty

Back to top Go down

Art of the Promo: A great feud

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1