Elite Answers Wrestling
Welcome old members and new visitors, EAW is still going stronger than ever and now runs out of a new upgraded forum! Be sure to check us out over at http://www.eawnetwork.com

Tips for being a Face?  SIGNUPBANNER
Elite Answers Wrestling
Welcome old members and new visitors, EAW is still going stronger than ever and now runs out of a new upgraded forum! Be sure to check us out over at http://www.eawnetwork.com

Tips for being a Face?  SIGNUPBANNER

The Land of Elite

HomeMain SitePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| EAW IS LEAVING FORUMOTION. WE HAD A NICE RUN HERE FOR 4 YEARS BUT OUR NEW FORUM WEBSITE WILL BE RAN OUT OF THIS LINK: eawnetwork.com JOIN THERE TODAY |||||||||||||||||||||||| KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR FOR MAIN SITE, eawrestling.com FOR MAJOR CHANGES, INCLUDING A NEW DESIGN, UPDATED ARCHIVES AND MORE WITHIN THE COMING DAYS AND WEEKS |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Top posting users this week
No user
Latest topics
» PAIN FOR PRIDE 11 DAY 1 TONIGHT! AT 6PM EST LIVE ON DISCORD
Tips for being a Face?  Emptyby Mr. DEDEDE June 21st 2018, 1:42 am

» MAJOR EAW UPDATE [ALL MEMBERS PLEASE READ]
Tips for being a Face?  Emptyby LVCIAN May 26th 2018, 1:46 pm

» The Compliment Game
Tips for being a Face?  Emptyby LVCIAN April 3rd 2018, 6:21 pm

» EAW Promoz!
Tips for being a Face?  Emptyby EAW April 2nd 2018, 10:46 pm

» NEXTAGE
Tips for being a Face?  Emptyby NEXTAGE April 2nd 2018, 3:46 pm

» Grand Rampage 2018 Reaction Thread
Tips for being a Face?  Emptyby Daisy Thrash April 2nd 2018, 3:01 pm

Upcoming Events

Note: Voice chat only activates when you want it to… Default chat is text.

Tips for being a Face?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ThatChapChristo
Dynasty
Dynasty
ThatChapChristo

Hailing From : Buffalo NY

Tips for being a Face?  Empty
PostSubject: Tips for being a Face?    Tips for being a Face?  EmptyNovember 10th 2016, 2:00 pm

Hey chaps and chapettes I know I ask for help a lot but I must ask once more: For those of you that are, is there any tips for playing a Face character? I'm usually a heel so this is giving me trouble in terms of writing a promo (Got it open in front of me and I swear I've got smoke spewing from my ears). But I don't want to have to default back to being a heel and aren't quite ready to give up on Mortimer just yet.
Back to top Go down
Mike Showman
Voltage
Voltage
Mike Showman

Hailing From : Queens, New York

PostSubject: Re: Tips for being a Face?    Tips for being a Face?  EmptyNovember 10th 2016, 3:01 pm

All I gotta say is that you need for follow some examples. Follow the careers of the wrestler irl who was a face. Guys like John Cena, Daniel Bryan, Rey Mysterio, SCSA etc. Understand what made them such a good face and why people cheered for them. 

To be honest, playing a face is a really difficult job. Firstly, you have to be the good guy while constantly getting picked on by the heels. However, what makes a face unique in my opinion is the ability to extract revenge and have the last laugh in a way that the fans love him. Example, consider the way Daniel Bryan won the title in Wrestlemania. He beat Triple H, the man who made his life hell and in the end got the title (sure he had a huge fan backing that effectively forced WWE to change plans and that's why I tell you to study them). Another great example is SCSA himself. 

Again, there are 2 types of faces, the babyfaces and those like SCSA, antiheroes. So it's upto you to think what you will be. As i said before, it's your playground and you make the rules
Back to top Go down
ThatChapChristo
Dynasty
Dynasty
ThatChapChristo

PostSubject: Re: Tips for being a Face?    Tips for being a Face?  EmptyNovember 10th 2016, 3:05 pm

Well I have an idea but it might be slightly heelish
Back to top Go down
Mike Showman
Voltage
Voltage
Mike Showman

PostSubject: Re: Tips for being a Face?    Tips for being a Face?  EmptyNovember 10th 2016, 3:06 pm

ThatChapChristo wrote:
Well I have an idea but it might be slightly heelish

Kind of like an anti hero? CM Punk maybe? Doing heelish things and yet getting cheered as a face?
Back to top Go down
ThatChapChristo
Dynasty
Dynasty
ThatChapChristo

PostSubject: Re: Tips for being a Face?    Tips for being a Face?  EmptyNovember 10th 2016, 3:07 pm

Nah was thinking of having him adopting the attitude of anyone can be a gentleman without having to be all prim and proper (since he's loud and more of an every man) but I'm not sure it would stick.
Back to top Go down
Mike Showman
Voltage
Voltage
Mike Showman

PostSubject: Re: Tips for being a Face?    Tips for being a Face?  EmptyNovember 10th 2016, 3:13 pm

ThatChapChristo wrote:
Nah was thinking of having him adopting the attitude of anyone can be a gentleman without having to be all prim and proper (since he's loud and more of an every man) but I'm not sure it would stick.

You should give it a try. If it does not work then you can always change your character or modify it
Back to top Go down
Ryan Marx
Showdown
Showdown
Ryan Marx

Hailing From : London, England

PostSubject: Re: Tips for being a Face?    Tips for being a Face?  EmptyNovember 10th 2016, 3:15 pm

I'm not a face here, but I am currently playing a face in another efed and he has a few similarities to Mortimer character-wise: gentleman, traditional values, sportsmanship, all that. Whilst I haven't been playing him for long, maybe a month and a half, I figured I could at least try to offer some feedback due to the similarities in character, and maybe tell you how I play him as a face.

I said it before, but depth can really help, face or heel. For a face, I say give him something to fight for: does he want to prove himself in the face of adversity, is he trying to bounce back from something negative, does he want someone or something to change for the better? For my face character, he's currently doing two of those things - trying to prove he's just as talented on his own as he was in a tag team, and trying to bring positive change to the company he's in. If you know what your face character's goals are, I find it's easier to write detail in and make him more sympathetic or relatable, which is a good part of a type of face character.

Don't be afraid to admit your flaws or 'bite back'. With my face character, I've written for him to have moments where he can be harsh or very critical when talking about opponents. Maybe he even has holier-than-thou moments. But I make sure that he knows he's acting that way. The difference I find between a face and heel is awareness. Faces are aware of their less flattering or 'wrong' moments, whilst heels aren't as aware of the times when they are being hypocritical or 'heelish'. I also find this helps to stop me from writing the same kind of promo for my face character, as I can add in some more biting insults and jabs at opponents, yet always have him 'regret' saying those things or at the very least make sure he's aware of the nature of what he's saying.

Identify your opponents strengths, and focus on competing with them rather than being better than them. Again, this is a fine line between a face and a heel, I find. As a face, I always try to find my opponent's strengths and highlight them, but then instead of saying how I'll be better, I speak in terms of competing with them. Stuff like 'I may not be as fast as you, but I am stronger and that levels the playing field'. I had a pretty good example of this recently in a match, where I as the face identified that my opponent was more agile, yet I was better at grappling and agility meant less when they were caught in a hold. They then countered by noting how difficult it would be to catch someone who was agile, which I identified, and then countered again by saying I could still compete with my higher level of endurance. It kept my character a face whilst still making him look like a threat. Whereas if I was Marx, I would focus heavily on weaknesses of the opponent, and if I were to bring up strengths, I would only do so to highlight how much better he thinks he is in regards to them.

Finally, I say stick to your positive values. Mortimer, being a gentleman, is most likely very sportsmanlike and 'by the book', and he should stick with that. You can even use it to highlight the immorality of your opponent, further reinforcing him as a face. And if it's questioned, it shouldn't then be ignored by you - to make him more of a face, he should stick up for his values. Say why they are strengths instead of weaknesses, make your opponent look and feel worse because they don't have those values. Mortimer's values can be shaken by an opponent, and maybe he might question them down the line, but unless your planning a heel turn for him via that, he could always show inner strength by sticking with them in spite of what people may say.

Being a face is more difficult than being a heel, I can agree with that. But this is just my thoughts on it - I'm sure others can give you better advice due to more experience. And this is by no means a be-all-end-all guide to being a face. Different things work for different people, you can always test new ideas out and listen to feedback of others with more time spent as a face to see what works for you. Apologies for the lengthy post, once I get writing I can't stop myself.

:whew:
Back to top Go down
Mstislav
Voltage
Voltage
Mstislav

PostSubject: Re: Tips for being a Face?    Tips for being a Face?  EmptyNovember 10th 2016, 3:55 pm

Don't be a dick
Back to top Go down
Nasir Escobar
Dynasty
Dynasty
Nasir Escobar

Hailing From : Brick City BITCH~!
Status : If you don’t like your destiny, don’t accept it. Instead, have the courage to change it the way you want it to be~!

PostSubject: Re: Tips for being a Face?    Tips for being a Face?  EmptyNovember 10th 2016, 4:34 pm

Voin wrote:
Don't be a dick
Yeah, don't be an Aren
Back to top Go down
ThePizzaBoy
Dynasty
Dynasty
ThePizzaBoy

PostSubject: Re: Tips for being a Face?    Tips for being a Face?  EmptyNovember 10th 2016, 5:11 pm

Face's have to be somewhat relatable to the audience.  You're their avatar, you're fighting for them, and you're either going to be who they are as average Joe with nothing going for them who has to go the straight and narrow hard road to get somewhere in life, or you have to be the person that they want to be.

Vulnerability is a good sympathy draw as well.  Have a flaw, sell damage from week to week, be a human being.  That doesn't mean you can't be wacky or tough or anything like that, but showing some vulnerability through the cracks garners sympathy for you and revile for your opponents.  

Humor helps.  It's not necessary, but everyone likes someone whose funny.  Your character seems prone to that sort of comedic condition.  

Always be fighting to get uphill.  Even if you reach the top with the title create other challenges to over come, like keeping the belt.
Back to top Go down
Sir Killian Charlamagne
Dynasty
Dynasty
Sir Killian Charlamagne

Hailing From : Camelot, Ontario, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Tips for being a Face?    Tips for being a Face?  EmptyNovember 10th 2016, 6:44 pm

It's always more about the Journey than it is the destination.
Back to top Go down
ThatChapChristo
Dynasty
Dynasty
ThatChapChristo

PostSubject: Re: Tips for being a Face?    Tips for being a Face?  EmptyNovember 10th 2016, 11:50 pm

Thanks for the advice guys,it'll be a big help.
Back to top Go down
Alonzo Calrissian

Alonzo Calrissian

Hailing From : Cloud City

PostSubject: Re: Tips for being a Face?    Tips for being a Face?  EmptyNovember 11th 2016, 9:30 am

ThatChapChristo wrote:
Thanks for the advice guys,it'll be a big help.

Ditto.
Back to top Go down
TLA
Voltage
Voltage
TLA

Hailing From : Where they ain't want me to be #ThaHall

PostSubject: Re: Tips for being a Face?    Tips for being a Face?  EmptyNovember 11th 2016, 9:56 am

I've been a face like 90% of my efed career and the #1 tip I can give is to know your audience. If you ain't a social person being a face is gonna be a hard time. If you have no idea what the EAW community even likes you prolly ain't gonna be able to get them to like your character. EAW and wrestling fans in general tend to appreciate shit that society might not since it's just a show, so getting over is more complicated than just being a "good person". You gotta be a likable person also.

It's extremely important for y'all to get on chat especially during live shows. That's probably the best time to figure out who has managed to get over in EAW.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tips for being a Face?    Tips for being a Face?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Tips for being a Face?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Elite Answers Wrestling :: Interact :: EAW Discussion-