Elite Answers Wrestling
Welcome old members and new visitors, EAW is still going stronger than ever and now runs out of a new upgraded forum! Be sure to check us out over at http://www.eawnetwork.com

Retiring Pic Bases SIGNUPBANNER
Elite Answers Wrestling
Welcome old members and new visitors, EAW is still going stronger than ever and now runs out of a new upgraded forum! Be sure to check us out over at http://www.eawnetwork.com

Retiring Pic Bases SIGNUPBANNER

The Land of Elite

HomeMain SitePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| EAW IS LEAVING FORUMOTION. WE HAD A NICE RUN HERE FOR 4 YEARS BUT OUR NEW FORUM WEBSITE WILL BE RAN OUT OF THIS LINK: eawnetwork.com JOIN THERE TODAY |||||||||||||||||||||||| KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR FOR MAIN SITE, eawrestling.com FOR MAJOR CHANGES, INCLUDING A NEW DESIGN, UPDATED ARCHIVES AND MORE WITHIN THE COMING DAYS AND WEEKS |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Top posting users this week
No user
Latest topics
» PAIN FOR PRIDE 11 DAY 1 TONIGHT! AT 6PM EST LIVE ON DISCORD
Retiring Pic Bases Emptyby Mr. DEDEDE June 21st 2018, 1:42 am

» MAJOR EAW UPDATE [ALL MEMBERS PLEASE READ]
Retiring Pic Bases Emptyby LVCIAN May 26th 2018, 1:46 pm

» The Compliment Game
Retiring Pic Bases Emptyby LVCIAN April 3rd 2018, 6:21 pm

» EAW Promoz!
Retiring Pic Bases Emptyby EAW April 2nd 2018, 10:46 pm

» NEXTAGE
Retiring Pic Bases Emptyby NEXTAGE April 2nd 2018, 3:46 pm

» Grand Rampage 2018 Reaction Thread
Retiring Pic Bases Emptyby Daisy Thrash April 2nd 2018, 3:01 pm

Upcoming Events

Note: Voice chat only activates when you want it to… Default chat is text.

Retiring Pic Bases

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bloody Jack
EAW Hall of Famer
EAW Hall of Famer

Hailing From : USA

Retiring Pic Bases Empty
PostSubject: Retiring Pic Bases   Retiring Pic Bases EmptyMarch 6th 2015, 9:49 am

What do you guys think are the qualities needed in order for someone's pic base to be officially retired in an e-fed?
Back to top Go down
J-Dynasty 2?
Showdown
Showdown
J-Dynasty 2?

Hailing From : Scarborough Ontario
Status : I'm out, for now. I imagine my return, but if not, it was good times overall. Much love. J.

Retiring Pic Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retiring Pic Bases   Retiring Pic Bases EmptyMarch 6th 2015, 10:22 am

Have to have become a legend, aka at the very least a hall of famer-I'm talking big hall of famers-, used that specific pic base for an extended period long of time and are the person that is thought of when the pic is used on any tribute/opening/cameoposterforanniversaries gfx and videos.
Back to top Go down
Chucky P.

Chucky P.

Retiring Pic Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retiring Pic Bases   Retiring Pic Bases EmptyMarch 6th 2015, 10:57 am

I agree with Jay, I don't think there's a check list for retiring a pic base, I think that pic base just has to be associated so much with that character, no one else would be able to use it and be their own person. Like if someone came in here as Shawn Michaels while HBB was gone, I'd think it was HBB every time. Same thing for RVD, Bobby Roode, CM Punk, Jeff Hardy, Kane, you get the picture. You just have to be established as that pic base and leave a legacy as that pic base.
Back to top Go down
Mr. DEDEDE
EAW Hall of Famer
EAW Hall of Famer
Mr. DEDEDE

Hailing From : The Gay Meat Community

Retiring Pic Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retiring Pic Bases   Retiring Pic Bases EmptyMarch 6th 2015, 2:42 pm

Pretty much what Jay said, and even then don't bank on your picbase being retired. It's an honor but its far, far, faaaaaaaar from a requirement or something people "deserve". It simply happens or it doesn't.
Back to top Go down
Venom

Venom

Hailing From : Your local bar

Retiring Pic Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retiring Pic Bases   Retiring Pic Bases EmptyMarch 6th 2015, 2:52 pm

Pretty much what Jay said.
Back to top Go down
VENTURA.

VENTURA.

Hailing From : The Underground

Retiring Pic Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retiring Pic Bases   Retiring Pic Bases EmptyMarch 6th 2015, 5:25 pm

Komodo Dragon wrote:
Have to have become a legend, aka at the very least a hall of famer-I'm talking big hall of famers-, used that specific pic base for an extended period long of time and are the person that is thought of when the pic is used on any tribute/opening/cameoposterforanniversaries gfx and videos.
:ehh:
Back to top Go down
Impact
EAW Hall of Famer
EAW Hall of Famer
Impact

Hailing From : The Upper Room

Retiring Pic Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retiring Pic Bases   Retiring Pic Bases EmptyMarch 6th 2015, 7:24 pm

Personally, I think EAW should disband the practice of retiring pic bases to further solidify the prestige of the extremists who have been bestowed the honor. These are your founding fathers, these are the OGs, these are the people held in the absolute highest esteem.
Back to top Go down
Mr. DEDEDE
EAW Hall of Famer
EAW Hall of Famer
Mr. DEDEDE

Retiring Pic Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retiring Pic Bases   Retiring Pic Bases EmptyMarch 6th 2015, 9:23 pm

Y2Impact wrote:
Personally, I think EAW should disband the practice of retiring pic bases to further solidify the prestige of the extremists who have been bestowed the honor. These are your founding fathers, these are the OGs, these are the people held in the absolute highest esteem.

not a bad idea
Back to top Go down
J-Dynasty 2?
Showdown
Showdown
J-Dynasty 2?

Status : I'm out, for now. I imagine my return, but if not, it was good times overall. Much love. J.

Retiring Pic Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retiring Pic Bases   Retiring Pic Bases EmptyMarch 6th 2015, 11:54 pm

:whoa: :whoa: :whoa: :whoa: :whoa: :whoa:
Looking at that list of retired pic bases, let's set the record straight.

:fact: :fact: :fact: :fact: :fact: :fact: :fact:
Only CM Ronn and I are the EAW OGs among them. 

:cesaro: :cesaro: :cesaro: :cesaro: :cesaro: :cesaro: :cesaro: 
That is until the day sir Killswitch joins us as Lannister.

:smugkobe: Half JK. The rest of you non EAW originals with retired pic bases are cool too.

In full seriousness and opinionated piece.

I disagree. I feel like it would send the wrong message to newer people and those who haven't made it there yet on the roster, as if they missed the boat to reach a level of prestige and having their mark be "eternal" in a figure of speech. Who knows how long EAW lasts, there's no saying anyone joining today can't change the game of EAW or build that big of a legacy for themselves to the point they are tributed and become put in that circle of people, to me it seems unfair to eliminate that placement for them. That's just my view though. 

Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, and this is no way speaking for Crash.

But I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere in him the reason he even made this thread was that he was slightly curious as to what he'd have to do to eventually make it to the point he is heralded enough to retire Matt Hardy. I'm at least 100 percent sure there are others who'd love to work up to that spot.
Back to top Go down
Mr. DEDEDE
EAW Hall of Famer
EAW Hall of Famer
Mr. DEDEDE

Retiring Pic Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retiring Pic Bases   Retiring Pic Bases EmptyMarch 7th 2015, 12:05 am

Komodo Dragon wrote:

:smugkobe: Half JK. The rest of you non EAW originals with retired pic bases are cool too.

I disagree. I feel like it would send the wrong message to newer people and those who haven't made it there yet on the roster, as if they missed the boat to reach a level of prestige and having their mark be "eternal" in a figure of speech. Who knows how long EAW lasts, there's no saying anyone joining today can't change the game of EAW or build that big of a legacy for themselves to the point they are tributed and become put in that circle of people, to me it seems unfair to eliminate that placement for them. That's just my view though. 

But I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere in him the reason he even made this thread was that he was slightly curious as to what he'd have to do to eventually make it to the point he is heralded enough to retire Matt Hardy. I'm at least 100 percent sure there are others who'd love to work up to that spot.

not a bad point, im inclined to agree with you here, but getting your picbase retired is something no one should strive to have. It's literally not worth the attention or rather the focus and effort, because many great people have done great things with a picbase and haven't gotten it retired to themselves. and I wont even bother to acknowledge anyone who feels slighted or disappointed if they dont get theirs retired, because I already know that's coming someday.
Back to top Go down
Impact
EAW Hall of Famer
EAW Hall of Famer
Impact

Retiring Pic Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retiring Pic Bases   Retiring Pic Bases EmptyMarch 7th 2015, 12:29 am

Komodo Dragon wrote:

I think you're taking what I meant when I said "OG" too literally. I just generally meant highly respected and long-term veterans, but I'm perfectly fine excluding that from my statement and standing by what I said nonetheless. At a certain point, you're going to reach New York Yankees levels of retired pic bases, which is a very bad idea since you eventually have half of the eligible numbers (1-99) unavailable. I don't really support the idea of retiring pic bases as it is, but I don't think new or moderately experienced people should get the idea that it's something they should aspire to. It's not supposed to be a status symbol or an indication of how good you are, but a reflection of the fact you became a legend and started during an era where EAW was still building itself up to be what it is today. I don't feel like anyone who joined during or after 2010 deserves that distinction for this very reason. Even without the possibility of having your pic base retired, there's still a ton of things that should be on everyone's bucket list as an e-fedder regardless. While that prospect is undoubtedly alluring to many an extremist, it doesn't really *need* to be, and you run the risk of turning the distinction into a Hall of Fame equivalent, which I feel would make it redundant.

That said, I respect your opinion and it's apparent there are multiple ways to approach this subject.
Back to top Go down
J-Dynasty 2?
Showdown
Showdown
J-Dynasty 2?

Retiring Pic Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retiring Pic Bases   Retiring Pic Bases EmptyMarch 7th 2015, 12:32 am

The og thing was more of a joke and trolling since I knew what you meant hence the overuse of smilies, while also being a clarification mixed in. There are a lot of rookies who don't know who the EAW originals are, and use it for any veteran.
Back to top Go down
Impact
EAW Hall of Famer
EAW Hall of Famer
Impact

Retiring Pic Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retiring Pic Bases   Retiring Pic Bases EmptyMarch 7th 2015, 12:36 am

All good. I would've said the same thing if I were you. Lol Cool
Back to top Go down
TLA
Voltage
Voltage
TLA

Hailing From : Where they ain't want me to be #ThaHall

Retiring Pic Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retiring Pic Bases   Retiring Pic Bases EmptyMarch 7th 2015, 8:02 am

Methuselah wrote:
Y2Impact wrote:

not a bad idea
I agree with this. Otherwise I see a time years from now where there are like 50 retired pic bases and it becomes a pain in the ass for new people to sign up. Especially with WWE failing so hard to make new stars there won't be that many good new pic bases to choose from.
Back to top Go down
Ares Vendetta
Showdown
Showdown
Ares Vendetta

Hailing From : Tokyo, Japan

Retiring Pic Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retiring Pic Bases   Retiring Pic Bases EmptyMarch 7th 2015, 10:29 am

Personally, I've never been big on retiring pic bases as I feel pic bases aren't something that should be just taken away from others because someone else got to it first and used it for so long and whatnot. I understand people perhaps see retiring pic bases as like retiring jerseys in like the NBA, but I think pic bases getting retired are more of a big deal than just a meaningless number. There's a lot people can do with a pic base and create some really cool characters, and I think retiring these really well-known and usually very popular pic bases does nothing but takes away from other talented individuals who could do some awesome stuff with them. So two problems I'll address with not retiring pic bases:

1. Associating a certain person with a certain pic base.

Yes, it's kind of inevitable that you'll only see a particular pic base as a person who's become so well-known with it, but much like with the Triple H pic base, it's definitely possible that more than just one individual can be associated with one particular pic base. ADV may have taken the pic base before retiring them was a thing, but nonetheless, he used it and became very well-known with it and now it's not retired whatsoever. All it takes is someone talented enough to become associated with a pic base.

2. Would anyone be able to use these certain pic bases?

Of course not. I don't care for just straight up retiring them, but there would of course need to be some moderation as to who is qualified to use the pic bases. Simple as that.

So in conclusion, yeah, I'm not keen on pic base retirement, but it's never gonna be changed, so I guess this was a little bit pointless to post, but oh well. Figured I'd just give my two cents on it.

:shrug: :anchor:
Back to top Go down
J-Dynasty 2?
Showdown
Showdown
J-Dynasty 2?

Retiring Pic Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retiring Pic Bases   Retiring Pic Bases EmptyMarch 7th 2015, 12:04 pm

I don't get it. Why does a limit of pic bases limit characters and what you can do with them?

Oh sure, I'll always go with a pic base that I think fits my character best or looks how my character I imagine would be. Hence when I was obsessed with robes- still think they're awesome- and wanted a strong wrestler with wrestling ability and Canadian, plus hbkf calling me Robert, I picked Robert Roode, but I don't see how it's a necessity in any way shape or form that it blocks you.

For example, if someone wants to be a cult leader or straight edge, they shouldn't need CM Punk. If someone wants a supernatural theme of being demonic and using fire, I don't think they should particularly need Kane.

Character descriptions and promos to me should be the biggest factor of how a wrestler is perceived and written over a pic base. -As long as its not something completely ridiculus, like when MP wanted to be this weird serious Werewolf thing and decided to use smiley goofy Sami Zayn.-
Back to top Go down
The Elite-Lord
Showdown
Showdown
The Elite-Lord

Hailing From : Dortmund

Retiring Pic Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retiring Pic Bases   Retiring Pic Bases EmptyMarch 7th 2015, 12:11 pm

Retiring pic bases is simply idiotic, IMO.

RoV hit the nail on the head. I'll explain in more detail later when I get back on.
Back to top Go down
StarrStan

StarrStan

Hailing From : Phila

Retiring Pic Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retiring Pic Bases   Retiring Pic Bases EmptyMarch 7th 2015, 12:32 pm

You ask the question "can you see anyone else using this pic base?"

There are 12 pic bases retired out of the thousands of wrestlers out there. I don't think it limits character development in any way. Sure, CM Punk is a great pic base, but if no one can live it up to Banks' name (whether you like him or not) I can't see anyone using him. The only people deserving are the ones who have their own pic base retired, and that would just be weird if all the legends were swapping pic bases.

Like Jay said, there are other monsters out there besides Kane. There are other American pic bases besides Angle. All the other pic bases are just normal white guys (besides Jeff Hardy and his face paint, and who's going to let someone use Jeff?) Just find another good looking white guy if you think it is so important to your character.

I respect the opposing opinions, but after using the same pic base for 7-8 years I think it deserves to be connected to you in some way.

Although, taking away retired pic bases would give veterans incentive to return every year so that no one takes their guy.
Back to top Go down
Bloody Jack
EAW Hall of Famer
EAW Hall of Famer

Retiring Pic Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retiring Pic Bases   Retiring Pic Bases EmptyMarch 9th 2015, 10:00 am

To comment of Jay's post from earlier (because I didn't feel like quoting it) I made this page purely our of curiosity.  I figured people might have different views on what it takes for a pic base to be retired, or in Impact's case, if a pic base should be retired at all.  Although I would love the idea of Matt Hardy being retired after me, I did not have the ulterior motive of trying to figure out how to do that.  Just so we're clear.

Anyway, to add my two cents, I also disagree with the idea that pic bases shouldn't be retired.  Like Jay said, it sends the wrong message to younger guys, like they aren't good enough, or at least aren't as worthy as the first generation.  While Impact makes a good point of how it would increase the prestige, it also limits it.  As to what I think should require a retiring pic base, I feel anyone who goes into the HOF should have their pis bases retired as a sort of reward for that honor, like how real wrestlers get a ring.  Besides, if someone's going into the HOF, you most likely associate that base only with that person anyway.
Back to top Go down
LVCIAN

LVCIAN

Hailing From : THE PRAIRIE STATE

Retiring Pic Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retiring Pic Bases   Retiring Pic Bases EmptyMarch 9th 2015, 10:16 am

It's not like anyone would want to be Matt Hardy anyway.
Back to top Go down
TLA
Voltage
Voltage
TLA

Hailing From : Where they ain't want me to be #ThaHall

Retiring Pic Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retiring Pic Bases   Retiring Pic Bases EmptyMarch 9th 2015, 10:24 am

I am generally against retiring pic bases. I've brought it up before but it seems like most people here support it, so I respect that. For me, I guess I have been in enough feds to the point I am used to associating pic bases with different people. Also if choosing a legend's pic base sends a message to the younger generation that they aren't worthy I would argue that is less an issue with the pic base and more to do with a problem in the culture of the fed. If someone were to sign up as CM Punk and people are like "LMAO YOU SUCK BANKS WAS BETTER" then I am not going to blame the new guy for choosing his favorite wrestler but rather the jerks who are still stuck in 2009.

But like I said most people here do support retiring pic bases as an honor to veterans and while I disagree I respect that.
Back to top Go down
Impact
EAW Hall of Famer
EAW Hall of Famer
Impact

Retiring Pic Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retiring Pic Bases   Retiring Pic Bases EmptyMarch 9th 2015, 11:22 am

Lucian Black wrote:
It's not like anyone would want to be Matt Hardy anyway.
The elephant in the room.
Back to top Go down
J-Dynasty 2?
Showdown
Showdown
J-Dynasty 2?

Retiring Pic Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retiring Pic Bases   Retiring Pic Bases EmptyMarch 9th 2015, 11:40 am

Eh. There's been enough Matt Hardys in efeds to make the case that someone would want him. Crash, Mr deleted from history himself Tyler A, Alex Anderson, and that LEGION/CWF guy, plus a bunch of noobs. Though IDK what the point of GC's post was meant to mean in the discussion, or if it was just a random fluff statement.

Last edited by Komodo Dragon on March 9th 2015, 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bloody Jack
EAW Hall of Famer
EAW Hall of Famer

Retiring Pic Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retiring Pic Bases   Retiring Pic Bases EmptyMarch 9th 2015, 12:06 pm

TLA wrote:
If someone were to sign up as CM Punk and people are like "LMAO YOU SUCK BANKS WAS BETTER" then I am not going to blame the new guy for choosing his favorite wrestler but rather the jerks who are still stuck in 2009.

I don't think if someone signed up as Punk it would be the "BANKS WAS BETTER" argument as much as people would just have a hard time separating Banks from the new person.  They would judge the person based on Banks time with the base, which wouldn't be fair.  I agree it's something that people should generally be above doing, but it's just human nature I think to do that.  Retiring helps avoid that.
Back to top Go down
StarrStan

StarrStan

Hailing From : Phila

Retiring Pic Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retiring Pic Bases   Retiring Pic Bases EmptyMarch 9th 2015, 12:41 pm

To Crash's point, I don't think just making it into the Hall of Fame deserves retiring a pic base. There are a few people who have been inducted who don't really deserve to have a pic base retired, as there isn't really one that is extremely associated with them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Retiring Pic Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retiring Pic Bases   Retiring Pic Bases Empty

Back to top Go down

Retiring Pic Bases

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next